Why become a member? ×

NBD - Fender Road Worn Precision Bass, Fiesta Red

discreet

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1468082925' post='3088529']
It was the 'roadworn' aspect that made me hesitate.
[/quote]

Yes, it seems to put off quite a lot of people. But there's no reason for it. Like I said in the OP, the 'road wear' just diverts attention away from the fact that, if you're into vintage Fenders, this is as close as you're going to get without spending thousands on the real thing. Yes, it takes a leap of faith to buy one online without trying it, but if you find one used then it's absolutely a no-brainer.

And as far as the 'road wear' goes - again as I said, I don't much care for the arm contour 'wear' and the faux fag-burn on the headstock, because they're on every P Bass and make it obvious that it's a Road Worn. Otherwise, the 'wear' is very plausible, particularly the ageing of the hardware. which is as good as I've seen. Bottom line is, it plays as well as any P and it sounds as good, too.

I got mine a couple of weeks ago and I'm still having trouble putting it down. I'm wearing it now, as I type this. :lol: This Road Worn, my Diamond BCP-1, my Markbass SA450 and my newly-delivered Barefaced Two10 - just about where I want to be at the moment. :gas:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1468083850' post='3088542']

I got mine a couple of weeks ago and I'm still having trouble putting it down. I'm wearing it now, as I type this. :lol: This Road Worn, my Diamond BCP-1, my Markbass SA450 and my newly-delivered Barefaced Two10 - just about where I want to be at the moment. :gas:

[/quote]

Don't forget Ritter!
Beautiful basses these. I briefly owned a RW Jazz and it was easily the finest Jazz I've ever played. It just felt right.

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1468093203' post='3088587']
Can you compare it to your '76 P?
[/quote]
Not sure about others experience but I have found...
the 50's models have a very different feel neckwise to any of the 70's P's I have had or tried., a lot more chunky flatter and wider.

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1468093203' post='3088587']
Can you compare it to your '76 P?
[/quote]

As Don rightly says, the necks play differently. Also the RW is alder and I believe the 76 is ash. Having said that, I'm not a great advocate of 'tonewoods', but some people think it makes a difference. The 76 seems a little more scooped soundwise and the RW has a more fundamental, woody tone about it. Generally the mid-70s basses are heavier too (in some cases a LOT heavier). The RW really is quite like an early Precision in a lot of ways - it's very light, resonant and for some reason gives one the strange impression that the wood has dried out more, though of course there is no practical way to know if this is true or not. Maybe it's something to do with the lack of weight. It doesn't have the overall feeling of mass, and seems more playable, somehow. It really sings.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1468083850' post='3088542'] Yes, it seems to put off quite a lot of people. But there's no reason for it. Like I said in the OP, the 'road wear' is a red herring that just diverts attention away from the fact that, if you're into vintage Fenders, this is as close as you're going to get without spending thousands on the real thing. Yes, it takes a leap of faith to buy one online without trying it, but if you find one used then it's absolutely a no-brainer. And as far as the 'road wear' goes - again as I said, I don't much care for the arm contour 'wear' and the faux fag-burn on the headstock, because they're on every P Bass and make it obvious that it's a Road Worn. Otherwise, the 'wear' is very plausible, particularly the ageing of the hardware. which is as good as I've seen. Bottom line is, it plays as well as any P and it sounds as good, too. I got mine a couple of weeks ago and I'm still having trouble putting it down. I'm wearing it now, as I type this. :lol: This Road Worn, my Diamond BCP-1, my Markbass SA450 and my newly-delivered Barefaced Two10 - just about where I want to be at the moment. :gas: [/quote]

I know, I was very sceptical until I tried a friend's RW Jazz a few years ago and that was really something. So from that moment I opened my heart to the RW... not because of the RW aspect but because they seem to be great instruments. And I've tried a few more since. All were very good. But it still makes me hesitate... which worked out well for you ;)

• 10 months later...

I love my 3TSB Jazz, It feels just like the '61 Jazzmaster I used to own, really worn in resonant and as someone said above dry (if that makes sense)

The Flea is also good but not quite the same as the 2009 RW. I think I need to put flats on the Flea to see if I can get the same action.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1495638675' post='3305523']
This thread is giving me severe gas for a fiesta red roadworn.

You lot will be named in my divorce!
[/quote]

DO IT!

I have my fiesta red Jazz up at the moment but every time I play it I want to withdraw it from sale. I just can't help that a road worn P is calling to me!