Why become a member? ×

Top tip for those troublesome fret markers!

chrisanthony1211

I've been buying rosette transfer dots for my vintage precision, the clay dots have sucked up the oil from the wood can't be seen on a dim stage, but the rosette markers whilst good, don't last particularly long, so, I've been trying to come up with an alternative. I used some glow in the dark tape and a belt hole maker to punch out some small dots to the appropriate size and stuck them over the existing dots, and to my surprise they seem to work really well. I shall be trying a few different types of tape to see which is the best, I've currently used a roll, however some glow dots arrived today which look to have a lower profile, each dot should make 3 or 4 smaller dots. I shall put some photos of them glowing later on, but I'm pretty pleased, and of course they just peel off without causing any damage.

Edited by chrisanthony1211

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='bassmanady' timestamp='1468234513' post='3089398']
Snap,
I fitted these a few weeks ago and they work well
[/quote]
I got mine off eBay and these look very similar, I think they do a cracking job, very low profile, lots of glowing going off, last for ages and you can easily take them off and leave no residue.

This is a link to the ones I got

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=131811259074&globalID=EBAY-GB

[quote name='chrisanthony1211' timestamp='1468262546' post='3089713']
Depending on what you get, they're very flat to the neck, you don't notice they're on there.
[/quote]

I don't mind noticing them, but I used something like that before and the adhesive was not very strong. After not long they'd start drifting through normal playing, and some fell off.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1468367348' post='3090523']
I put this in the last thread about dark stages. . . . if you can't see your frets the audience can't see you. Get some lights.
[/quote]For me its more about not being able to see very well the small existing dot markers even with good stage lighting.

Edited by bassmanady

[quote name='bassmanady' timestamp='1468410480' post='3090730']
For me its more about not being able to see very well the small existing dot markers even with good stage lighting.
[/quote]

Particularly on vintage instruments where the dots have sucked up the oils from the wood and are nearly the same colour as the neck!

[quote name='chrisanthony1211' timestamp='1468427999' post='3090878']
Particularly on vintage instruments where the dots have sucked up the oils from the wood and are nearly the same colour as the neck!
[/quote]

exactly... the dots on my old jazz have disappeared...