Why become a member? ×

Marquee gig...

uk_lefty

I took my Ashdown toneman 300 combo in to the rehearsal room last night for the first time to give it a push before gigging it. It did well at 70% volume up and with all my pedals running direct to the input instead of to the effects loop. Lots of compliments on sound quality. However, my first gig with this band and this amp is coming up. It's in a marquee. I don't think this combo is going to shift enough air and I don't know if the PA will be able to handle bass input though I hope to God it does... Question is what would be the best way of getting the necessary welly out of my kit? Options are:

1. Buy the 15" extension cab - don't know how much extra this will give me though
2. My singer has an "old but massive" peavey bass amp. I could use this alone and hope it holds the tone clearly (I use a hartke vxl for tone shaping) or even slave it up with the Ashdown. I'm yet to see this Peavey...
3. Buy a new more powerful amp... Which I don't want to do because I am a bit short of cash

Any advice or other options gratefully received!

Marquees eat volume... but having said that, just make sure you put out a balanced sound... so in other words, if you are the quietest, make sure everybody is only as loud to be balanced with you.

I don't know what the event is but if it's something like a wedding, you only have to be loud enough to fill out the dancefloor and not necessarily the whole marquee.

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1464949811' post='3064015']
I took my Ashdown toneman 300 combo in to the rehearsal room last night for the first time to give it a push before gigging it. It did well at 70% volume up and with all my pedals running direct to the input instead of to the effects loop. Lots of compliments on sound quality. However, my first gig with this band and this amp is coming up. It's in a marquee. I don't think this combo is going to shift enough air and I don't know if the PA will be able to handle bass input though I hope to God it does... Question is what would be the best way of getting the necessary welly out of my kit? Options are:

1. Buy the 15" extension cab - don't know how much extra this will give me though
2. My singer has an "old but massive" peavey bass amp. I could use this alone and hope it holds the tone clearly (I use a hartke vxl for tone shaping) or even slave it up with the Ashdown. I'm yet to see this Peavey...
3. Buy a new more powerful amp... Which I don't want to do because I am a bit short of cash

Any advice or other options gratefully received!
[/quote]

Whats the PA setup? That seems to be all important here, if it's a sub/tops system with guitar and drums mic'd then just DI and you'll be fine. If it's a vocal only PA, then really speaking you only need to be as loud as the drummer / guitarist / vocals to achieve a good mix. EQ wise, don't go for scooped tone, focus on pushing the low-mids to project a bit better.

Use both; there's no point spending a load of money just for one gig - it might look a little ugly but it's the sound that matters. Plus if you have them stacked on top of each other it may help you hear yourself better as the speakers will be closer to your ears.

I wouldn't gig with anything I hadn't tried, so borrow the Peavey and use it at least for one rehearsal. Most Peavey stuff is reliable and sounds OK but is just sooo heavy.

I'd also find out a bit more about the PA before you get there. Then you know what you are preparing for.

I always take more stuff than I need to an unknown gig. It usually sits in the van unused but I'd rather carry all I might need than put on a poor show.

On the plus side the sound in a marquee is usually great.

What does "old but massive" mean? If an option is to link this with your gear then I guess it's a combo.

A marquee is basically an outdoor gig. There are no reflecting surfaces so the bass will get "lost" and, as you know, your bass will need help.

The first option I'd check out, is the PA is good enough to DI the bass. If it is then problem fixed. If it's not then checkout the Peavey and daisy chain the two combos. You're combo can take an extension cab. IMO bass always sounds better with more speakers even when being run at ordinary gig volumes, so I'd suggest getting the extra cab.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1465035892' post='3064810']
What does "old but massive" mean? If an option is to link this with your gear then I guess it's a combo.

A marquee is basically an outdoor gig. There are no reflecting surfaces so the bass will get "lost" and, as you know, your bass will need help.

The first option I'd check out, is the PA is good enough to DI the bass. If it is then problem fixed. If it's not then checkout the Peavey and daisy chain the two combos. You're combo can take an extension cab. IMO bass always sounds better with more speakers even when being run at ordinary gig volumes, so I'd suggest getting the extra cab.
[/quote]

"Old but massive" is all I know about the Peavey. From my experience of old peaveys it will be loud at least...

Thanks for the advice, def considering the extra cab for more presence.