Why become a member? ×

Warwick basses

dazco

Hi

I`ve had two Thumb nTs- one a 4 string- ( early 90s ) and one a 5 - bought two years ago- best basses I have ever had and I`ve had a lot!!

The only thing is, to gig them as they are so expensive, it would break your heart. Can still remember the first nick of a hi-hat- now I use my marcus miller-doesnt sound or play anything like but I know a nick or two doesnt matter.

cheers

Bob

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' post='297038' date='Oct 1 2008, 08:56 PM']snip...The only thing is, to gig them as they are so expensive, it would break your heart. Can still remember the first nick of a hi-hat- now I use my marcus miller-doesnt sound or play anything like but I know a nick or two doesnt matter.[/quote]
I always gig with my GB's. I did not buy them not to play them.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='297187' date='Oct 2 2008, 12:01 AM']I always gig with my GB's. I did not buy them not to play them.[/quote]

+1

Whilst I don't like dinging my gear, whats the point in buying it if you're not going to play it? :)

I love Warwicks, I have a lovely 2002 LTD Corvette Jazzman. French walnut body, swirly bubinga top and real abalone inlays. Yum.

[quote name='lee4' post='297058' date='Oct 1 2008, 09:32 PM']I used to own a Corvette $$;great sound,I even liked the neck!But two things made me sell it;the shear back bending weight of it(I have a long term lower back problem)and the Just-a-nut III which used to cut my left index finger![/quote]

I had the same problem with my Corvette cutting my finger. I replaced it with a new plastic (?) nut and haven't had any problems since.

[quote name='Waldo' post='297525' date='Oct 2 2008, 01:11 PM']+1

Whilst I don't like dinging my gear, whats the point in buying it if you're not going to play it? :)

I love Warwicks, I have a lovely 2002 LTD Corvette Jazzman. French walnut body, swirly bubinga top and real abalone inlays. Yum.[/quote]

I`m not saying I dont play it- just that I gig my Marcus Miller more ( I suppose I would as I am in a Soul Band )

If I was in some R and B or jazz group I think I would gig the Warwick- just doesnt seem to suit a Sam and Dave track or Jamieson song- plus with 8 people on stage I always bump into someone ( or they bump into me!)

cheers

Bob

[quote name='Waldo' post='297573' date='Oct 2 2008, 02:00 PM']It's probably worth noting that as much as I like mine, there's no way in hell i'd pay for one brand new.[/quote]

Ditto.

Warwick have done an amazing job of turning a small handbuilt outfit into a massive yet high-quality producer with serious profits. The downside of doing so is almost always going to be dislike for "selling out". It doesn't help that the biggest boom in Warwick's growth tied in with the nu-metal era - so many metal-focused adverts and endorsements, and such support from a genre with a history of losing the bass in the mix isn't great for building positive perception from non-metallers.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='297595' date='Oct 2 2008, 02:42 PM']Ditto.

Warwick have done an amazing job of turning a small handbuilt outfit into a massive yet high-quality producer with serious profits. The downside of doing so is almost always going to be dislike for "selling out". It doesn't help that the biggest boom in Warwick's growth tied in with the nu-metal era - so many metal-focused adverts and endorsements, and such support from a genre with a history of losing the bass in the mix isn't great for building positive perception from non-metallers.

Alex[/quote]

Personally it has nothing to do with them selling out, it's simply that their prices new are too high for what they are IMO.

[quote name='Waldo' post='297525' date='Oct 2 2008, 01:11 PM']I love Warwicks, I have a lovely 2002 LTD Corvette Jazzman. French walnut body, swirly bubinga top and real abalone inlays. Yum.[/quote]

I was just thinking "Oh that sounds tasty", when I remembered... I sold you it! :)

Note to self - must stop selling basses that I like. :huh:

[quote name='Waldo' post='297705' date='Oct 2 2008, 04:37 PM']Personally it has nothing to do with them selling out, it's simply that their prices new are too high for what they are IMO.[/quote]

The ditto was agreeing with you about the prices, the other paragraph was addressing the negative perception around them nowadays. Two separate issues.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='297750' date='Oct 2 2008, 04:57 PM']The ditto was agreeing with you about the prices, the other paragraph was addressing the negative perception around them nowadays. Two separate issues.

Alex[/quote]

Yup, I know what you mean about the whole image thing. Not sure why they decided to go all 'metal'

[quote]I was just thinking "Oh that sounds tasty", when I remembered... I sold you it! :)[/quote]

:huh: :huh:

[quote name='Waldo' post='297755' date='Oct 2 2008, 05:00 PM']Yup, I know what you mean about the whole image thing. Not sure why they decided to go all 'metal'[/quote]

I'm not sure they consciously did. But tonally a lot of Warwicks are very good at growling through a dense mix, so I think they got popular with the metallers first and the endorsements and ads followed.

Alex

I've had two Warwicks. A green Fortress in the 90's which I didn't really get along with & a black Corvette $$ which I had a couple of years ago. I still say to this day that the $$ is one of the best all round basses I've ever played - Amazingly fast neck, biblical output & a really adaptable sound all make for one hell of a bass. I'm currently thinking of getting another one as I only sold mine to help fund my 1990 Status SII.

Rich.

I loved my old Thumb base and still do even so other lucky bigger now owns it, by in my case familiarity bred contempt too as it's sheer weight and distinctly Warwicky tone began to really frustrate me. For me my Thumb was part of the original company that made really special basses to the one today where for me even the higher price models feel mass produced to me. As production line basses go they offer style and value for money but for me they don't feel or sound what I want from a bass, I'm not saying that they don't make good basses just that I don't think the basses they make bear comparison to those stunning early models. Just my two Euros worth,

M

I've never understood the 'sound of wood' motto when used to sell primarily active, and zingy, honky sounding instruments.

I'm not a fan of warwicks (in my hands) apart from the SS1 5 string, but the guy who used to play in bossk got a wicked tone from his detuned thumb.

[quote name='mr_russ' post='298087' date='Oct 2 2008, 10:21 PM']I've never understood the 'sound of wood' motto when used to sell primarily active, and zingy, honky sounding instruments.

I'm not a fan of warwicks (in my hands) apart from the SS1 5 string, but the guy who used to play in bossk got a wicked tone from his detuned thumb.[/quote]

Some of those early Streamer Stage Is (predominantly wenge necks, cherry bodies and 1 piece bridges) absolutely epitomise that "Sound of wood" motto! I've owned a couple of those early instruments (IIRC Alex C has an early cherry bodied example, which I reckon he'd not describe as zingy or honky) and I can honestly say that a 'woodier' tone you are unlikely to hear than from one of those early instruments... active electrics or not!

[quote name='mr_russ' post='298087' date='Oct 2 2008, 10:21 PM']I've never understood the 'sound of wood' motto when used to sell primarily active, and zingy, honky sounding instruments.[/quote]

My (stock, '91) Thumb doesn't zing or honk, it purrs. I think that's the "trademark" sound that people think about when they hear the name Warwick.

To be honest I haven't played a lot of their more recent models so maybe things have changed. The most recent one I had was a '94 Corvette 'Proline' 6, and I was surprised by how excellent it was, given that it was a bolt-on "budget" model. Although mine had Bart soapbars in it, not MEC kit.