Why become a member? ×

Fretless bass - how difficult to play

ProfJames

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1462824020' post='3046084']
I did , but that shouldn't inspire you

Jesting aside , I don't see why not , but it depends on what you are learning and what you want to sound like .

You learning theory or just some songs ?

What music you into ?
[/quote]

Just started really, having a few lessons with a good tutor. Learning to read music as well. Into Echo and the Bunnymen, Snarky Puppy, Savages, Stranglers....all sorts

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1462860380' post='3046239']
As mentioned already, try and provide some context to your question.
[/quote]

I have bought a Traben Array which has frets and a pal has offered me a fretless Fender at a cheap price. I don't want to buy something that I won't use but people say that there is a different sound/tone from a fretless (?). I have a teacher and can afford a few lessons (thankfully) so I just wanted some advice. I'm not looking to go gigging or expecting to become a pro player! Just enjoy the sound and playing along.

[quote name='ProfJames' timestamp='1462823964' post='3046083']
Would you recommend to learn on a fretless?
[/quote]
I see no need to recommend fretted over fretless or vice versa.

There is an interview with Jaco on youboob somewhere where he answers a similar question. His answer, in my own words was that there is little difference in real terms because finger placement is the same. This is only true if you fret correctly of course, if not then you might need guidance initially. Let your ears decide, fretless is an excellent way of "getting your ear in" for some. Other methods are available.

Hint: Give both a try and decide which one you have the most fun with before you put serious money down. Good luck.

Completely depends what you want.

Fretless is definitely harder but not as much harder as people make out (as has been said before) but if you're wanting to play punk or metel you probably don't want a fretless anyway as the ting of metal on metal has more bite than metal on wood.

Fretless has more range and is more expressive, but if you're starting out from day one it might be so intimidating you just give up. One good tip for your pitching on fretless is play along with stuff. Personally I use rocksmith but whatever works for you. If you're playing WITH something else you'll know straight away if you're off and learn how to correct fast.

As Steve Bailey said, you'll never be correct 100% of the time, but aim for 90%

Fretless is an incredibly versatile instrument, though probably more known in jazz and fusion, with Jaco and Gary Willus, as well as the 80s pop offerings by Pino with Paul Young.

The guy from cream used one, and also check out it's use in metal. Robin Zeilhurst in a great band called exivious used one to great effect.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1462874220' post='3046412']
I see no need to recommend fretted over fretless or vice versa.

There is an interview with Jaco on youboob somewhere where he answers a similar question. His answer, in my own words was that there is little difference in real terms because finger placement is the same. This is only true if you fret correctly of course, if not then you might need guidance initially. Let your ears decide, fretless is an excellent way of "getting your ear in" for some. Other methods are available.

Hint: Give both a try and decide which one you have the most fun with before you put serious money down. Good luck.
[/quote]

Thank you. I am going to my local dealer to have a go on a fretless in a couple of weeks. www.bassgear.co.uk in Twyford

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1462831417' post='3046173']
buzz like a fretted bass.
[/quote]

Raise your action a bit if it's buzzing Dad... :)

Fretless is no harder than fretted, just different. Practise along with other music and your intonation will be easier to get right.

You also have the added advantage of being able to slide out of wrong notes and sound like you meant to do it.
:)

I've owned a couple of fretless basses and never really got on with them - even though I love the look and sound of a fretless. You certainly have to pay more attention to what you're playing and not assume that you're in tune - I tend to think that "listening" can slip a bit when you're used to a fretted bass. Having said this many of my favourite songs are played on fretless basses.

Always remember: [b]Mick Karn and Jaco are Gods!![/b]

I found fretless a very natural progression after playing fretted for a few years. My first fretless, as well as my current one, are both unlined. Not by choice, just what I ended up with, but I don't really look at the neck much anymore anyway!

I started with an unlined fretless, it will really help you listen to what you are playing, as others have said a fretless gives you a lot more freedom than a fretted bass but with that freedom comes a trade off of it being a lot easier to sound horrible if you are not concentrating