Why become a member? ×

*SOLD* Fender Japan JV Squier Precision Bass 82- 83' Original Plus case £575
£525

geoff90guitar

History of Fender JV (Japanese Vintage) and these pictures tell the story. While exposing the controls for pictures, I decided to put some tin foil on the plate - totally unnecessary.

Personally I would have liked the action set a bit lower. I tried screwing the truss rod for more opposing tension but I couldn’t turn anymore, I didn’t want to break the screwdriver!
So, I am selling the bass quite a lot under value in respect of the action height. Nice weight, fractionally over 4kg. Hard case included [/indent]

Edited by geoff90guitar

It's not the screwdriver you need to worry about breaking, it's the truss rod!

Believe me, I had it happen to my JV. Only
MacGyver like skills saved the neck in the end.

Ps- it sounds like the truss could be bottoming out- it might be worth removing the truss nut and sticking a couple of washers over the rod to give it more leverage. This is what (in retrospect) I think mine was doing, pre-snappage, but I decided I would just force the screwdriver...

Great price btw

I really hope that you or any buyer could sort this problem out. I've had quite a few precisions, vintage etc but my JV has been the only keeper. I honestly believe it's worth far more than a grand on a bad day. Whether people would pay that is a different matter. Beautifully crafted and sounding, If I had a vintage USA again it would be a back up. I really don't think there is any Precision anywhere near as good for the price they go for. GLWTS.

Edited by itsmedunc

I also love the JV instruments, they are a greta deal, and i had a few of them.

Interesting neck date, mine always had the actual production year 82 up to 84, and not the year the original 50s model was made. :)

You're right about the unusual pencilled date. I've had and enjoyed many JV's. You'll probably go back and find a couple on the site. Never seen a date like this.
Love to hear from someone who's got dating similar.
Attached was my once upon a time small collection. I keep going round and round with basses, I'm nuts.

Thanks for your suggestion Wal,
Before I started playing bass about 20 years ago, I played lead for about 30 years (pre CBS Strats and all that). In those days we'd use a piece of Woodbine packet for the shimmy. No, I don't think it's enough in this case that's why I've taken it to the experts in Brum - and I'm assured it's gonna be fine!

Truss rod now corrected by JD B'ham.
I'm now putting the bass and case for sale at £575. It's still far below what other people ask for these superb replicas.
I'm passing this recent cost on to the potential buyer.

I think it was heat treatment. I don't know physically it's done. The truss rod has not been replaced or anything like that. Mike told me at JD you can tension it slightly convex now ( the other way) so it's fully adjusting again.

The neck plate number shows this on the fender dater site:

Your guitar was made at the
Fuji-gen Plant (for Fender Japan), Japan
in 1984 - 1987
Production Number: 54247
Has the plate been changed?

I ask because I'm interested.

Edited by tom1946

No, the neck plate hasn't been changed as far as I'm concerned. Totally original.
That's a fantastic bit of detection work. Why should the decal be correct and where did you get this info from?
Always understood the JVs were between 82 & 84.

[quote name='geoff90guitar' timestamp='1463747557' post='3053801']
No, the neck plate hasn't been changed as far as I'm concerned. Totally original.
That's a fantastic bit of detection work. Why should the decal be correct and where did you get this info from?
Always understood the JVs were between 82 & 84.
[/quote]

That would be the Guitar Dater Project http://www.guitardaterproject.org/fender

Haven't come across guitardater before, but that 84-87 result is quite incorrect when applied to JV Squiers.

JV5xxxx indicates May-June 1983 on 21frets.com and that list is very good.

I think the OP's bass looks dead right for mid-'83 (save possibly the pencilled 58, but you never know) re. tuners, bridge saddles, raised A pole pieces, and a bunch of other stuff.

Edited by KK Jale

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1463776842' post='3054072']
Haven't come across guitardater before, but that 84-87 result is quite incorrect when applied to JV Squiers.

JV5xxxx indicates May-June 1983 on 21frets.com and that list is very good.

I think the OP's bass looks dead right for mid-'83 (save possibly the pencilled 58, but you never know) re. tuners, bridge saddles, raised A pole pieces, and a bunch of other stuff.
[/quote]

I'm not sure that guitar dater is 100% accurate. I've had a couple of results from there that I thought were a bit iffy , My JV 57 has no date on the heel. Perhaps a bit of artistic licence at the factory? The bass looks good to me. I'd buy it if I had the cash...