Why become a member? ×

NBSD London trip.

Joebethell

New Semi Bass Day

Last month was my 33rd birthday(yes yes I am that flipping old) after much internet hunting and planning I managed to wangle today off work to take a trip and spend some cash! So a booking with a Mr Baxter and a train to the smoke was the order of the day. Now I tried many very nice instruments at his shop including a nice 57 reissue from 1983(good year that) but it wasn't right for me nor was the 1975 P or the Gibson Eb2s and a Rivola so with that I departed.

Now the fun bit on he advise of some fellow Basschatters I made my way to the Gallery in Camden and after some time one beauty stood out played and sounded a dream so made its way back to the real world with me. Said bass is 1990 I believe so only 26ish but after having a non USA recent reissue the 90s U.S. By comparison is in a totally different league.
Say hello to my new (26year old) Guild starfire II.

So after a bit more of a play today I'm still really chuffed with the bass. It has all the plus points of the single pickup Newark St version I had but the build is a lot better and has a proper bridge as I really didn't get on with the wooden saddles on the latest versions (hence the sale of the Newark 2years ago). I know that's how the starfire bass was in the 60s but even after lowering and enlarging the saddles I would still loose an E or A at a gig (I do dig in a bit but still) so the metal saddles on this bass are reassuringly massive and I can't see me having the same problems.

First change will be the tape wounds they need to go and fast not my cup of tea at all! Really seem to strangle the tone so some nice flats or halfs to buy. Also will have to find a longer strap as I feel it needs to drop just a bit lower than the ones I have now will allow (I'm not quite hooky though)

Edited by Joebethell

Nice looking bass - Love big bodied semi acoustics...I'm hoping to take possession of my Epi Jack Casady tomorrow - bought is about 6 weeks ago but had a friend collect it for me and it's been with him since.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1462643119' post='3044652']
Nice looking bass - Love big bodied semi acoustics...I'm hoping to take possession of my Epi Jack Casady tomorrow - bought is about 6 weeks ago but had a friend collect it for me and it's been with him since.
[/quote] had a friend who played a Casady lovely sounding bass I just never liked the gold (now they do other colours can't really fault them).