Why become a member? ×

So infuriating!

Evil Undead

I have this bass that I really like for several reasons - light weight, playability, tone. But something about it drives me absolutely insane to the point I'm considering selling it.

It's an absolute nightmare to tune. I thought it might be my tuner, but my other bass (which is heavy and doesn't quite play as nicely) has not got this issue at all, strike the string, tune it up, 5 seconds work, no problem.

But this one, argh! I strike the string and it's flat, strike again without touching the tuning key and it's bloody sharp, up and down all the time, I turn the key to make the note flatter and tuner reads it going sharper, vice versa. Intonation is just as annoying, and even when I think it's in tune according to 10-15 minutes with the tuner (not even kidding) it still doesn't sound right.

What the hell is wrong with this thing? I don't like the tuners, I already know that much but it's not just them as the note just wavers around without me even moving those.

Waaaaah, does anyone have any ideas?

The usual suspects are:

Duff strings
String windings around the tuning head either crossed over or there's too few winds
Pickup too high so the magnets mess with the vibration
Nut needs some pencil lead in it
Tuners need tightening or the gears have slipped or worn

Good luck, should be fixable with some trial and error and perhaps pro help.

A tip that may help; give each string a good press down at the bridge anchoring point to make sure there is a clean angle. Whenever I had had an issue with strings slipping out of tune (if this is strings, of course), doing this sorts it right out.

[quote name='JoeEvans' timestamp='1462206866' post='3041107']
Tried some different strings?
[/quote]
I always use the same strings, but I've tried a different pack, same again. This bass doesn't have the original neck on it and it was always a bit annoying tuning-wise but this is something else.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1462206991' post='3041112']
Have a read through this. It may help. :)
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/204518-help-my-bass-wont-stay-in-tune/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/204518-help-my-bass-wont-stay-in-tune/[/url]
[/quote]
Thanks, I'll have a look through :)

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1462208975' post='3041135']
Are we talking really noticeably out of tune, or just a couple of cents drift on the tuner?
[/quote]
To me it's noticably out, although the tuner is back and forth all the time, it's hard to tell what's what

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1462209451' post='3041140']
The usual suspects are:

Duff strings
String windings around the tuning head either crossed over or there's too few winds
Pickup too high so the magnets mess with the vibration
Nut needs some pencil lead in it
Tuners need tightening or the gears have slipped or worn

Good luck, should be fixable with some trial and error and perhaps pro help.
[/quote]
I tried a different set of the same strings as i always use the same ones, and it's the same with the new ones. I tried the pencil lead but the nut is brass, it doesn't seem to come off when I draw in the slots!

When I had the neck made, I asked for hipshot USA as I had the money for those at the time, but the luthier convinced me to go with schallers and I really don't like them at all so I'm a bit gutted that I paid out for them. I would like to change them but can't afford it right now. I should have stuck to what I wanted

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1462209881' post='3041145']
A tip that may help; give each string a good press down at the bridge anchoring point to make sure there is a clean angle. Whenever I had had an issue with strings slipping out of tune (if this is strings, of course), doing this sorts it right out.
[/quote]
I've tried this with the nut and bridge, didn't help, but thanks for the suggestion!

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1462211837' post='3041169']
I usually put a tiny blob of lip balm (e.g. Lipsyl) in the nut slots to stop them snagging. Having said that, it does sound like a duff string. Do you use flats by any chance!
[/quote]
Nope, daddario nickel rounds. Wouldn't lip balm deaden the sound? Already the E string is much deader than the rest even when I just fit new strings. No problem on my other bass with these strings, it's definitely the bass.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1462218150' post='3041240']

I tried a different set of the same strings as i always use the same ones, and it's the same with the new ones. I tried the pencil lead but the nut is brass, it doesn't seem to come off when I draw in the slots!

When I had the neck made, I asked for hipshot USA as I had the money for those at the time, but the luthier convinced me to go with schallers and I really don't like them at all so I'm a bit gutted that I paid out for them. I would like to change them but can't afford it right now. I should have stuck to what I wanted
[/quote]

How's the pickup height? So many times I've seen it cause tuning issues when too high.

Is the bridge in the right place for the new neck?

If it's a clip-on tuner, maybe try moving it to a different spot on the headstock? Might be some kind of weird resonance thing going on if the tuning appears to go up and down even on a single note.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1462218297' post='3041244']

How's the pickup height? So many times I've seen it cause tuning issues when too high.

Is the bridge in the right place for the new neck?
[/quote]

The pole were only 2mm under the strings on the bridge pickup so I've lowered them to 4mm under and it's definitely helped a little. But lowering them further doesn't seem to help so I've left them at 4mm. I like a nice meaty bridge tone, that might be a bit low for me but there's always the volume knob :)

I would think the bridge location is fine, the bass was put together by an excellent luthier so can't see that being a problem

Glad to hear the pickup height helped. There's always SD Quarter Pounders too :) (edit, ignore that, huge poles! )

Are your two basses the same scale length? Could it be a tension v's playing style issue? ( so same strings, different response?)

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1462219240' post='3041256']
Also, do you trust the tech? Brass nut badly cut perhaps?

Schallers are pretty good btw, doubt it's them.
[/quote]

The nut height is great. The spacing is an issue (the string spacing at the nut is quite off on the G, by 0.5mm which doesn't sound like a lot but feels like a lot) but can't see that affecting this issue.

I've heard that schallers are good but these feel so... clunky. Not at all like the tuners on my other bass which are nice and smooth, no idea what make they are though. Got a feeling they're Gotoh