Why become a member? ×

Turning a band down.

bubinga5

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1462282323' post='3041716']
Thats what we play and we are looking for a 4th bassist but everything is tuned down 5 octaves and we only play in f flat but not E !
[/quote]
Yeah yeah, never mind that. Does it pay?

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1462285202' post='3041758']
Maybe I've just not found them then. Any jam nights i should know about?
[/quote]

I think there's something at one of the esquire (Bedford) venues on Wednesdays. Not been myself but probably should as I know both the engineer and the owner :/

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1462285921' post='3041771']
I think there's something at one of the esquire (Bedford) venues on Wednesdays. Not been myself but probably should as I know both the engineer and the owner :/
[/quote]

An hour's drive away. But this is the kind of thing I mean. It was the same when I was looking for a bass teacher. "Oh there's loads". Closest: 30 mins drive. Whereas in Leeds or Manchester or Liverpool this stuff would have been on my doorstep, and pretty much everywhere.

Other people's loads does not equal my loads.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1462286938' post='3041783']
An hour's drive away. But this is the kind of thing I mean. It was the same when I was looking for a bass teacher. "Oh there's loads". Closest: 30 mins drive. Whereas in Leeds or Manchester or Liverpool this stuff would have been on my doorstep, and pretty much everywhere.

Other people's loads does not equal my loads.
[/quote]

I'm in st neots though :lol:

I know there's one in St Neots town and one in Bedford. I'm pretty sure I've been to one in Cambridge but sodded if I can remember where!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462281161' post='3041696']

I'm doing that in my 50s. I'm gigging way more than I ever have done in four decades of playing and loving it. Er, mostly.
The only thing wearing thin is my hair. Boom-tish!
[/quote]
I have been doing something similar in my 50s, playing original stuff on the blues circuit (if you can put original and blues in the same sentence)! I make more money from the local rock covers band but I get to play all over the country doing the blues stuff!

I suppose that the point is that when the originals hard rock band broke up in my late 20s, the idea of putting together another similar proj (especially after a few failed attempts) and getting home at 4am every gig to get up for work at 7.30 started to lose its appeal and I spent most of my 30s & 40s happily playing in a variety of covers bands...!

Edited by peteb

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1462290439' post='3041819']
Isn't Cambridgeshire where musicians go to get [i]away [/i]from the music scene; there, or Norfolk..? :ph34r:
[/quote] The areas awash with em I know of a few jazzerz who have retired up there but then no musician can actually afford to live in or near London anymore especially a jazzer :)

When I started playing again several years ago I felt I couldn't say no to any band offer. So, I ended up in stuff I really hated...and in loads of stuff that just didn't last.

After the best band I'd been in folded, that was it, I became incredibly picky. Several former band mates asked me to form or join stuff and I point blank refused. I'm now in an originals band (I'm in my mid 40's) and I'm, musically, much happier. There's no money in it, but then I never seemed to get anything from playing covers to be honest, and now I only play for 45mins rather than 2hours :D

I know of a bass player local to me, he's very good, way better than me, previously signed artist etc etc, he can't get a band together for love nor money. He's been trying to get a funk, soul thing started up and he's had no luck at all. I suppose it falls outside the staple diet of folk or rock and pop covers that musos around this way seem to head for.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1462261560' post='3041453']

I'm 29 and the vocalist is a similar age, all the other members are 30s and 40s. It's an hour + for all of us to get to band practice where we do our writing, tightening and generally bond as a band.

A family would be a difficulty but otherwise we all hold down full time jobs and relationships quite easily :)

The thing is, with a genre like symphonic metal you need to get the good gigs where you can. It's a fairly tight knit community and it's not the easiest to push your way in.
[/quote]

I think when your in this for creativity, art and fun you can relax and play whatever you like and have a ball.

When your in it to make money and gig a lot, your probably going to have to make a few compromises.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1462371205' post='3042454']
I think when your in this for creativity, art and fun you can relax and play whatever you like and have a ball.

When your in it to make money and gig a lot, your probably going to have to make a few compromises.

Blue
[/quote]

Yep, completely agree. Although I want to have fun and gig a lot. Money just needs to be maintainable with lifestyle, if we suddenly make it huge and rake it in that would be awesome :P

If the OP likes the R&B funk side of things, I think there are 2 viable options.

The funk stuff seems to work well with the corporate show functions band. However getting in a functions band if your and outsider could be tough.

Or if you have the time, the passion and desire needed to start your own band with the idea you could get a steady gig as sort of a house band, back ground music at a restaurant, that might work.

I love the funk and retro R&B stuff. There was a time when those bands could get plenty of work, but that's changed.

Blue

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1462371991' post='3042463']

Yep, completely agree. Although I want to have fun and gig a lot. Money just needs to be maintainable with lifestyle, if we suddenly make it huge and rake it in that would be awesome :P
[/quote]

Just understand the odds.

Very few local level bands make it huge or rake it in. At the local level,if a band is gigging once a week your doing good,

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1462372267' post='3042468']

Just understand the odds.

Very few local level bands make it huge or rake it in. At the local level,if a band is gigging once a week your doing good,

Blue
[/quote]

Yeah, I know lol :lol:

Probably the closest I've had with an originals band was averaging 4 gigs a week. Unfortunately it was short-lived and our vocalist had a meltdown