Why become a member? ×

Anyone watching Jools Holland?

Steve_nottm

[quote name='Steve_nottm' post='293212' date='Sep 27 2008, 12:30 AM']Agreed on the double bass
funny how when he's soloing they cut away to shots of everyone else in the band other than him![/quote]

I blame Bill Wyman - the industry has never recovered from his on-stage charisma. [u]ALL[/u] cameramen now avoid bass players like the plague.

[quote name='Steve_nottm' post='293212' date='Sep 27 2008, 12:30 AM']Agreed on the double bass
funny how when he's soloing they cut away to shots of everyone else in the band other than him![/quote]

+1 on the double bass player.

The camera work drives me mad. On "Later" and Jonathon Ross, why do they keep swirling the cameras around and avoiding everyone except a close up of the lead guitar and or the front man. It doesn't make it more exciting, just aggravating.

Did Keane have a bass player? A tape, or was the keyboard player metronomic?

Balcro.

Keane are one of my least favourite bands ever. They have absolutely no redeeming qualities IMO. I like Jonathan Ross though, has a lot of the same interests as me.

As for Katy, just trying too hard methinks. Anyway, couldn't be any worse than Jools. Nice guy, but bloody awful pianist.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='293559' date='Sep 27 2008, 07:12 PM']:)[/quote]

Sorry, I was brought up on people like Oscar Peterson. I think Jools has limited technique and terrible time (not helped by his drummer, who appears not to understand the concept of [i]swing[/i]).

[quote name='4000' post='293821' date='Sep 28 2008, 12:18 PM']....I was brought up on people like Oscar Peterson. I think Jools has limited technique and terrible time (not helped by his drummer, who appears not to understand the concept of [i]swing[/i])....[/quote]
I think you are comparing apples and oranges, here. JH gets my vote for being one of the best bands around

[quote name='chris_b' post='293830' date='Sep 28 2008, 12:26 PM']I think you are comparing apples and oranges, here. JH gets my vote for being one of the best bands around[/quote]

Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion. However having spent most of my life listening to big bands of various types (yes I know Jools isn't jazz) I think they swing like a lame rhino. I love the programme, [i]except[/i] when his band starts.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='293673' date='Sep 27 2008, 11:13 PM']I have seen them with a bass player hidden in the wings. Must still be doing it even though they have gone guitar and lost their USP.[/quote]
Not very well hidden then...
On the JR show I'm pretty sure that the keyboard player to the singer's left was playing the basslines.

I came home late at night just in time to catch the very last song of David Gilmour...
I went to bed after hearing one of the best guitar solo's I have ever heard in my life..
I think the song was called Mr. Blue and the sound, the phrasing and the intensity were mind-boggling...What a fantastic musician he is and he only gets better and better.

[quote name='wombatboter' post='294526' date='Sep 29 2008, 01:48 PM']I came home late at night just in time to catch the very last song of David Gilmour...
I went to bed after hearing one of the best guitar solo's I have ever heard in my life..
I think the song was called Mr. Blue and the sound, the phrasing and the intensity were mind-boggling...What a fantastic musician he is and he only gets better and better.[/quote]
That's what I was trying to say before but I don't think we're allowed to enthuse over guitars here and it got royally lugged. :)
He got phrases of that solo to sound like seagulls, which is I think is part of the theme. Effing brilliant!
I spent years learning his solos (can still muster a pretty mean Shine On You Crazy Diamond parts I–IX) before forsaking 6 strings for 4 and he remains my hero to this day.
Pity about all the soloing gurning he's started to do the older he gets. :huh: