Why become a member? ×

Flea's National Anthem at Lakers vs. Jazz

bluesparky

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1461354954' post='3034053']

A lot of great music came out the 80s & 90s.

A lot of what's consider new is not new to me. It's what happens after you hit a certain age.

Blue
[/quote]

Yes. My Grandad was saying that in the 60s "This is an old 40s number.", My Dad was saying that in the 80s. "This is an old 60s number.", I'm saying it to my kids now "This is an old 80s number".

Nothing is new in pop.

Im quite disappointed with how much milage Basschat has found from being bitter over this. Its really not that bad or even worthy of much hostility. The guy noodled with a farty tone at a sports event - where people get drunk and shout obscenities, its no big deal. Do you really need to use this as an opportunity to reflect on the bassists craft, really basschat.
All we need is a bass rendition of starspangled banner and BC turns into little old lady doris nags over the fence. Saying he bombed as a statement, jeeeeeze, I doubt he cares, I almost respect the performance even more knowing how its offended tone precious bassists, lol. I mean, people paid to watch man netball, not listen to him, he knew that. BTW, im not a flea fan, just think it wasnt so bad and it fit for the occasion.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1461362150' post='3034132']

Only if you stop listening ;)

I make a conscious effort to listen to atleast one band I haven't heard before a week :)
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, If I'm not gigging I'm always out checking out new, local, regional, national and international bands.

It just that nothing hits me the way the bands of my generation did.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1461369793' post='3034178']
Im quite disappointed with how much milage Basschat has found from being bitter over this. Its really not that bad or even worthy of much hostility. The guy noodled with a farty tone at a sports event - where people get drunk and shout obscenities, its no big deal. Do you really need to use this as an opportunity to reflect on the bassists craft, really basschat.
All we need is a bass rendition of starspangled banner and BC turns into little old lady doris nags over the fence. Saying he bombed as a statement, jeeeeeze, I doubt he cares, I almost respect the performance even more knowing how its offended tone precious bassists, lol. I mean, people paid to watch man netball, not listen to him, he knew that. BTW, im not a flea fan, just think it wasnt so bad and it fit for the occasion.
[/quote]

When I see sn artist the caliber of Flea, I expect to be turned on, not disappointed.

Hey, it happens no big deal.

Personally the whole idea of The Star Spangled Banner and a bass solo escapes me

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1461366435' post='3034159']

Yes. My Grandad was saying that in the 60s "This is an old 40s number.", My Dad was saying that in the 80s. "This is an old 60s number.", I'm saying it to my kids now "This is an old 80s number".

Nothing is new in pop.
[/quote]

No, not really,not new for me. But I would suspect everything seems new to a 12 year old. Which is pretty close to when I started listening to music.

Blue

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1461369793' post='3034178']
[/quote]

But you forget, we are Basschat, we are perfect and expect perfection no matter who you are!!

On the matter of "relevance", surely all successful bass players should be relevant to all of us. You don't have to LIKE their music particularly. There are whole swathes of music from my teen years I don't like. I'm not a great Jaco fan either, or in to Larry Graham. But I still think they're relevant to me as a student of the craft of playing bass.

Maybe I only think this because I'm still finding my feet in the craft?

Not a huge fan of Flea but i appreciate he is good at what he does with RHCP but he should stick to pop slap material. IMHO that was an insult to any national anthem. Sounded like a new kid just learning bass.
Nope not for me at all

Dave