Why become a member? ×

Flea's National Anthem at Lakers vs. Jazz

bluesparky

I'm not poking the fire here - but blue; can you explain the generational thing to me? For me, I am influenced by all the music I hear - whether it was recorded 100 years ago or yesterday. But your opinion is that it is only the music that is recorded during your lifetime, or formative years that has relevance.

Seriously - I would like to understand your perspective.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1461173047' post='3032195']

The problem is though Blue, when other forum members might say McCartney isn't relevant to them, or they just don't like him, you have been known to jump down their necks a little bit.
[/quote]

True, but here's my position.

I understand McCartney is not relevant to the younger bass player.And I think everyone is cool with that.

I also say anyone standing verticle playing an electric bass guitar in a rock band has been influenced by McCartney at some level whether they know it or not. Even if they've never heard of Paul McCartney.That's my take on it.

Blue

[quote name='OutSpoon' timestamp='1461177972' post='3032252']
I'm not poking the fire here - but blue; can you explain the generational thing to me? For me, I am influenced by all the music I hear - whether it was recorded 100 years ago or yesterday. But your opinion is that it is only the music that is recorded during your lifetime, or formative years that has relevance.

Seriously - I would like to understand your perspective.
[/quote]

Yes for me it's only the greats from my generation that have relevance to me.

Paul McCartney
Rocco Prestia
Chuck Rainey
Carole Kaye
Larry Graham
Willie Weeks
Stanley Clarke
Jaco

Its just me, and I just happened to grow up when these greats we're in their prime.Most on my list are still very active.

I would say my generation has more true great bass heroes than any other since.

Am I biased, yes, I am.

Blue

Edited by blue

Guest Jecklin

I have just read through the thread (thoroughly ammused by comments from the usual suspects) and watched the video.

Based on the comments, and given the source material of the American national anthem I was expecting something far worse than what I saw.

There are some really neat moments in there, the harmonic double stop whilst closing the whah pedal sounded especially nice.

It was no disaster. It definitely had a knowing nod to Hendrix, which non musician members of the audience would have picked up on.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1460789522' post='3028696']
Bass played solo is like one of those blokes you see doing a marathon in a diving suit with lead boots. Novel and laudable to a point, but ultimately a futile exercise best achieved by another means. This was no exception. Except whatever he'd played it on, it would've been terrible*.

* Actually, if he'd gone for it on the euphonium, it'd would've had a fascination all its own: parping and farting out the tune whilst leaping around...yeah, I'd have watched that...
[/quote]

Nonsense. Bass solo is as valid as any other instrument solo. It's all down to the player.

[quote name='Jecklin' timestamp='1461198679' post='3032438']
I have just read through the thread (thoroughly ammused by comments from the usual suspects) and watched the video.

Based on the comments, and given the source material of the American national anthem I was expecting something far worse than what I saw.

There are some really neat moments in there, the harmonic double stop whilst closing the whah pedal sounded especially nice.

It was no disaster. It definitely had a knowing nod to Hendrix, which non musician members of the audience would have picked up on.
[/quote]

Jecklin, many younger bass players here have been critical of Jaco, and I get that Jaco is not relevant to many younger bass players.

So, isn't it fair for older bass players like me where Flea is not relevant, to critique Flea?

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1461190804' post='3032402']
I also say anyone standing verticle playing an electric bass guitar in a rock band has been influenced by McCartney at some level whether they know it or not. Even if they've never heard of Paul McCartney.That's my take on it.
[/quote]
Yes we know that's your take on it, we've heard it a million times and we are NOT going down that road again. Any attempts to restart that argument, by anyone, will be removed.

Also:
*Rainey
*Kaye
*Clarke
*Jaco

Who on earth is 'Joco'?

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1461226039' post='3032547']

Who on earth is 'Joco'?
[/quote]

John Francis Pastorius - had the nickname Jocko for much of his early life and many of his close friends called him Jocko. He took the name from a baseball coach who he admired. He later changed the spelling to Jaco but the original nickname stayed for some.

Influence comes from all places - I love Stanley Clarke, James Jamerson, Steve Harris, Tal Wilkenfeld, Charles Mingus, Sid Vicious... and that's just bass players. Some guys died before I arrived - some started playing way after I started (and they are better able to express themselves than I am).

BUT - blue, I am not going to argue whether you are right or wrong - because you are right! :-) Those are the guys that influenced you - and continue to influence you; and that's a pretty good list. You are not going to go far wrong with those legends to follow.

The ONLY thing I will say to you is - don't dismiss any younger players and believe they have nothing to say. Same thing with saying 'all country music is bad'. There is something to learn from everything you see and hear - good or bad.

BUT - (okay, this really is my last point) - if you are saying 'these are the greats - these are my heros, there will never be more' - that's also cool. Between Jaco and Chuck and Carole; they pretty much defined the genre. There isn't much more to say in that genre. But listen to Steve Lawson, Squarepusher, Divinity Roxx - they have something new to say.

Music is a language, not a competition - and the game is still on.

Peace and love.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1461199543' post='3032440']
Jecklin, many younger bass players here have been critical of Jaco, and I get that Jaco is not relevant to many younger bass players.

So, isn't it fair for older bass players like me where Flea is not relevant, to critique Flea?

Blue
[/quote]

I think relevant is the wrong term Blue, I was born in the early 90's and the stuff that, say, Jameson put down 50 or so years ago is as relevant to any bass player now as it was at the time he recorded it - actually, it's probably more so as people have realised over the years what a supreme talent he was.

IMO by boxing yourself in and only listening to certain things you're denying yourself a lot of wonderful music and possible influence.

On topic though, didn't sound particularly pleasant to me and I quite like flea :(

[quote name='OutSpoon' timestamp='1461229719' post='3032599']
John Francis Pastorius - had the nickname Jocko for much of his early life and many of his close friends called him Jocko. He took the name from a baseball coach who he admired. He later changed the spelling to Jaco but the original nickname stayed for some.
[/quote]

For those that think you are on a wind up...:)
Here is a slightly different take, although I still think Blue was talking about a well known Circus Monkey :lol:

http://jacopastorius.com/life/

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1461233741' post='3032647']
For those that think you are on a wind up... :)
Here is a slightly different take, although I still think Blue was talking about a well known Circus Monkey :lol:

[url="http://jacopastorius.com/life/"]http://jacopastorius.com/life/[/url]
[/quote] dude - I would never joke about Jaco!

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1461132757' post='3031645']
If you're unhappy with Flea's performance then you should be addressing your criticism to him, not a bunch of English bass players.

If you're unhappy with the way a bunch of English bass players are critiscising Flea then you should be addressing those bass players.
[/quote]

Gosh, that's a good idea. So everyone who criticises basses with nice figured tops, go and whinge about them to the luthiers, not on here. And the moaners about headless basses, same to you. And no matter how sh*t the performance, don't criticise it on here, go and tell the artist. And if you feel that someone has said something that you're unhappy with, tell them direct, don't moan about it on the forum.

That should get the postings on here down to a manageable two or three a week then.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1461281662' post='3033385']
You've missed my first sentence from your quote. Which effectively makes the rest of my post seem ridiculous as you've taken it completely out of context.

Strange thing to do really. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Was it too ironic to be ironic about being ironic about irony?

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1461260987' post='3033092']
I'd be the first to say I'm sort of stuck in the 60s & 70s. And there's not a better musical time period to be stuck in.

I'm quite comfortable here.

Blue
[/quote]

Sounds like my idea of hell ;)

80s onwards for me, although I'm really liking the musical turnout from bands in recent years to be honest so I guess I like being stuck where I am?!

Though there are a few bands I wouldn't mind dropping back in time to see!

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1461199311' post='3032439']
Nonsense. Bass solo is as valid as any other instrument solo. It's all down to the player.
[/quote]

"How was that?"
"It was very...valid..."
:D

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1461324966' post='3033680']

80s onwards for me, although I'm really liking the musical turnout from bands in recent years to be honest so I guess I like being stuck where I am?!

[/quote]

I remember when my dad stopped playing in bands. Around the 90s I suppose. We were playing a Sunday afternoon jazz set (he and I will play anything) and he said he didn't want to end up stuck playing music to people in old folks homes.

The artists that have done the best have been those that have experimented and reinvented themselves. Sometimes it works, sometimes its spectacularly failed and they've had to move on swiftly.

At the moment I'm happy playing classic rock to a bunch of 50 year olds. But I'm pushing to move our tune bass to something more recent. Pretty soon I'll be 50 and if I'm not careful I'll be playing Beatles and Rolling Stones tunes to people in their 80s.

Although at the rate the people from the 60/70s are dying this year I may well be spared that.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1461324966' post='3033680']

[/quote]

A lot of great music came out the 80s & 90s.

A lot of what's consider new is not new to me. It's what happens after you hit a certain age.

Blue

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1461331694' post='3033778']

I remember when my dad stopped playing in bands. Around the 90s I suppose. We were playing a Sunday afternoon jazz set (he and I will play anything) and he said he didn't want to end up stuck playing music to people in old folks homes.[/quote]

For my generation I think playing music to seniors in assisted living facilities would be pretty cool.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1461354954' post='3034053']

A lot of great music came out the 80s & 90s.

A lot of what's consider new is not new to me. It's what happens after you hit a certain age.

Blue
[/quote]

Only if you stop listening ;)

I make a conscious effort to listen to atleast one band I haven't heard before a week :)