Why become a member? ×

Flea's National Anthem at Lakers vs. Jazz

bluesparky

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1461083637' post='3031324']

Fair comment. I guess also, that is what happens when you take a simple tune and try to do something unique and individual with it.

Can't say I'm impressed that after the announcer said "remove you hats", he didn't. But could he have been nervous?
Lack of confidence in what he'd "prepared"?
Was it prepared?
Had he forgotten what he'd prepared?
If you asked him afterwards, would he say he was proud of it?

What would YOU do?
How about a few folk here post on this thread THEIR rendition of the "Stars & Stripes" ? (No, I'm no massive Flea fan either.)
Need the music? [url="https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=88014765C749B87!205&authkey=!ADeEgLtmLqvZrd4"]The Star Spangled Banner[/url][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] - USA national anthem :D[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

I like your honesty and I agree.

I think it's hard even For Flea fans to defend this embarrassing performance.

I think it was a bad idea and Flea does not seem prepared.Not a professional performance, there was nothing cool about it IMO.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1461088178' post='3031386']

I think it's hard even For Flea fans to defend this embarrassing performance.

[/quote]

I'm finding it harder to defend this 3 page thread full of anger, holier than thou judgments, narcissism and negativity.

Flea started his journey as a punk, heavily influenced by Jazz musicians in his family home and Funk on the record player. He clearly improvises for the love of it, doesn't give a monkeys about rules and restrictions and often admits himself that sometimes improvisation doesn't pull off and we all have off days. As a kid I watched his bass video, he called bad improv days something like 'days when your head feels like a stale marshmallow'

He's also human, sensitive and allowed a bad day at the office. If he did have a bad day at the office, so what? If he was nervous, so what? If he's happy with what he played then also, so what?

At least he had the balls to do it and isn't on a forum picking holes in it

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1461087811' post='3031378']

Flea is not a major player in my generation's community of bass players.

Blue
[/quote]

Not sure what you are trying to say here Blue... you're merely talking from your own perspective. Many younger players would say the opposite and Flea has influenced a whole host of musicians- in terms of bassists, it's hard to think of anyone significantly more influential in the last 20 years. He has a very unique style that is all his own and will stand alongside some of the most important bass players of all time.

I say that not as a huge fan, either.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1461091087' post='3031423']

I'm finding it harder to defend this 3 page thread full of anger, holier than thou judgments, narcissism and negativity.

Flea started his journey as a punk, heavily influenced by Jazz musicians in his family home and Funk on the record player. He clearly improvises for the love of it, doesn't give a monkeys about rules and restrictions and often admits himself that sometimes improvisation doesn't pull off and we all have off days. As a kid I watched his bass video, he called bad improv days something like 'days when your head feels like a stale marshmallow'

He's also human, sensitive and allowed a bad day at the office. If he did have a bad day at the office, so what? If he was nervous, so what? If he's happy with what he played then also, so what?

[/quote]

I guess I would bring the same defense to any of my generations bass heroes if any of them had a bad night.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1461092669' post='3031448']

I guess I would bring the same defense to any of my generations bass heroes if he had a bad night.

Blue
[/quote]

That's the difference Blue, I'd defend anyone on this. Your constant 'us and them' generational thing leaves me cold and confused.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1461092163' post='3031437']

Not sure what you are trying to say here Blue... you're merely talking from your own perspective. Many younger players would say the opposite and Flea has influenced a whole host of musicians- in terms of bassists, it's hard to think of anyone significantly more influential in the last 20 years. He has a very unique style that is all his own and will stand alongside some of the most important bass players of all time.

I say that not as a huge fan, either.
[/quote]

Agreed

My comment was generational and yes I was talking from my perspective.

Like many of my heroes, McCartney, Joco, Rocco Prestia, Larry Graham, Stanley Clark, Chuck Rainy, Willie Weeks etc.. these guys are not relevant to some of the younger generations of bass players. I don't want to be critical of Flea, he's just not relevant to me.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1461093313' post='3031458']
Agreed

Like many of my heroes, McCartney, Joco, Rocco Prestia, Larry Graham, Stanley Clark, Chuck Rainy, Willie Weeks etc.. these guys are not relevant to some of the younger generations of bass players. I don't want to be critical of Flea, he's just not relevant to me.

Blue
[/quote]
Going by the whistles and yells in the background in the recordings, I think there's a lot of folk there who don't see it as relevant. It may be that which could make Flea take it very casually and he may see it simply as a way to pay his way to some free tickets to the top-box and a few beers with the Lakers guys.

We're really over analysing this. In this situation in the UK there would be silence. You might even hear a pin drop. I don't think the USA see it in the same way.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1461091087' post='3031423']
[/quote]
Oh the irony of people moaning on a forum about people moaning on a forum. You gotta love this place.
If you are putting yourself out there then you have to expect judgement. In the scheme of things it matters not a jot. Its hot air and opinion which is fine. He is probably unaware of this thread and wouldn't give a stuff anyway. To my ears it was a heap of baloney. Absolute tripe. But hey ho.

I'm a big Flea fan, and although that wasn't a piece I will likely listen to again, I'm glad that he took the stage and gave it a blast.

I will avoid moaning about people moaning about people moaning about people moaning about people on forums, as that would be steeped in irony!

I`ll drop this in here, as bad as Flea`s version of the American national anthem was, nothing can top this godawfull rendition of God Save The Queen...............take it away Lesley Garrett (skip to 1.20)

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cIOH2KTn4c"]https://www.youtube....h?v=-cIOH2KTn4c[/url]

Edited by DarkHeart

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1461095073' post='3031479']
I`ll drop this in here, as bad as Flea`s version of the American national anthem was, nothing can top this godawfull rendition of God Save The Queen...............take it away Lesley Garrett (skip to 1.20)

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cIOH2KTn4c"]https://www.youtube....h?v=-cIOH2KTn4c[/url]
[/quote]
Sorry, but if you book a female opera singer with no orchestra, that's what you get.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1461095181' post='3031481']
How about this, is this a fair statement?

Flea "bombed". It can happen to anyone.

Blue
[/quote]

Yup, that could be it amongst many other possibilities, and it is a fair statement if that's the case.

I'll never get to play anywhere near Flea (and others), so it would be nice to know that sometimes they can bomb just like I can ;)

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1461095073' post='3031479']

[/quote]
Wow! I didn't expect that.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1461095599' post='3031488']
Sorry, but if you book a female opera singer with no orchestra, that's what you get.
[/quote]

I would expect a world renown female opera singer to be able to hold a note regardless of whether there was an orchestra present or not., maybe her autotune wasnt switched on ;)

Edited by DarkHeart

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1461093999' post='3031469']

Oh the irony of people moaning on a forum about people moaning on a forum. You gotta love this place.
If you are putting yourself out there then you have to expect judgement. In the scheme of things it matters not a jot. Its hot air and opinion which is fine. He is probably unaware of this thread and wouldn't give a stuff anyway. To my ears it was a heap of baloney. Absolute tripe. But hey ho.
[/quote]

I don't see any irony at all.

If you're unhappy with Flea's performance then you should be addressing your criticism to him, not a bunch of English bass players.

If you're unhappy with the way a bunch of English bass players are critiscising Flea then you should be addressing those bass players.

Or did I miss something?

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1461133148' post='3031646']

Sort of,

We didn't like the performance.😄😄

Blue
[/quote]

That's the problem with everything being available and recorded now. It was an improvised solo that didn't work quite as people who've heard the recording expected.

I suspect you had to be there to appreciate it.

Live music should stay live. I've got loads of recordings of awesome gigs that don't stand up to any detailed listening.

Maybe Flea will watch it back and think he would have done something different. I doubt it, I don't study recordings of my gigs anymore.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1461093313' post='3031458']
Agreed

Blue
[/quote]

I don't see how the era you grew up in has any relevance to what you like today.

My musical development took place in the 70s and early 80s, but I'd be the first to admit that the vast majority of artists that I liked back then have done nothing of any real interest for at least the last 25 years. I could simply stick with the recordings that I'm familiar with but TBH I think that's rather sad and pathetic. Luckily it has never been easier to listen to anything from any era and any genre, and guess what? There's loads of music out there that I have never heard before that I really like. Some of it are older things that I had missed the first time around or even pre-date when I got into music. Some even pre-date my birth! But there's also lots of new bands that I like and many of them aren't just updated versions of what I grew up with.

The result is that the CDs and records that I have been buying recently cover pretty much every era of "popular music" from the 50s right through to debut releases by brand new bands. I'm still enjoying a lot of the recordings that I grew up with, but there's an awful lot of music made before and since that are just as interesting and exciting to me. When it was made is completely irrelevant. The only thing that matters is that I like it.

So by all means ignore Flea because you don't like the music he plays, but don't dismiss him simply because he's not from the generation that got you into music.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1461139010' post='3031705']
I don't see how the era you grew up in has any relevance to what you like today.

My musical development took place in the 70s and early 80s, but I'd be the first to admit that the vast majority of artists that I liked back then have done nothing of any real interest for at least the last 25 years. I could simply stick with the recordings that I'm familiar with but TBH I think that's rather sad and pathetic. Luckily it has never been easier to listen to anything from any era and any genre, and guess what? There's loads of music out there that I have never heard before that I really like. Some of it are older things that I had missed the first time around or even pre-date when I got into music. Some even pre-date my birth! But there's also lots of new bands that I like and many of them aren't just updated versions of what I grew up with.

The result is that the CDs and records that I have been buying recently cover pretty much every era of "popular music" from the 50s right through to debut releases by brand new bands. I'm still enjoying a lot of the recordings that I grew up with, but there's an awful lot of music made before and since that are just as interesting and exciting to me. When it was made is completely irrelevant. The only thing that matters is that I like it.

So by all means ignore Flea because you don't like the music he plays, but don't dismiss him simply because he's not from the generation that got you into music.
[/quote]

nicely put

I grew up in the '80's listening to Iron Maiden and Steve Harris. Later I got into RHCP and Flea, then Rush and Geddy Lee. Much later I have started listening to Zep and JPJ - the The Beatles and Paul have always been an influence. In recent times I started listening to Victor Wooten, Janek Gwizdala and Scott Devine. I only discovered Jaco once he had already left the planet. Never really got into Mark King but love Stuart Hamm. I have no idea what the date a bass player was born has to do with me being influenced by them?

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1461168246' post='3032119']

I do.

Blue
[/quote]

The problem is though Blue, when other forum members might say McCartney isn't relevant to them, or they just don't like him, you have been known to jump down their necks a little bit.