Why become a member? ×

First Opportunity to Play with Real People in Thirty Years!

SpondonBassed

Last night I went to a community centre not too far away in response to an ad in our local paper. I was the youngest there at 53! Three lads were looking for another three to fill out the band. I think they were all in their sixties and seventies so fifties music was the agenda. Lots of Cliff Richard and the Shadows, Buddy Holly, Elvis etc.

I don't know what audience still exists for this sort of thing but it looks like being a really good laff if nowt else. Of course there are others to be auditioned before I hear back. Good progress for me even if it goes nowhere. I'm having a crack at memorising a few off of their set anyhow. No harm to widen my repertoire.

I was dead surprised how little had changed from my memories of jamming in Dublin years ago. It was as if I had never stopped. Cracking! I even got compliments about my sound and the way that I was asking questions when in unfamiliar territory rather than just blagging it.

Time to hit the toob.

Edited by SpondonBassed

I'm 53 too and about 18 months ago I joined a very similar band to the guys you describe. It was meant to be a second band but both of us got too busy so I had to leave.

They are great and gig very regularly and go down a storm.

You'll have a ball, hope it pans out for you. Because of the material I actually scored the job on my vocals. Lot of harmonies in that era.

Les

Congratulations SB.
If this one doesn't work out, let me know. I have a few contacts locally who may be useful to you.

As for an audience for that material - definitely. I have a bunch of mates who get as many gifgs as they want in the Derby area playing just that kind of stuff. They are called The Real Deal.

I`m 72 next month & play in an old band from the 60s.
Still work pretty regularly.
Also do my own thing supported by various musician friends at local pub venues singing and playing guitar.
My own stuff and a bunch of old Gulf Coast stuff.

Nothing beats that rush.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1460629942' post='3027357']
Also do my own thing supported by various musician friends at local pub venues singing and playing guitar.

Nothing beats that rush.
[/quote]

This guy gets it.

Cool story

Blue

I don't see age as a problem. Far from it, where else can you get first hand accounts of how music has developed other than those who have lived it? I am dead chuffed to get these responses as it confirms my own feeling that this would be a worthwhile project should I be invited to join.

Within music, I've always considered age to be nothing more than a number and generally have to use my year of birth and mental arithmetic (along with the associated finger wiggling) to work out how old I am.

The result is pretty much always the same - a frown, a recalculation and then 'am I really?!?'. :D

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1460629942' post='3027357']

Nothing beats that rush.
[/quote]

Lovely to hear. Great stuff.
That goes for the OP as well.:)