Why become a member? ×

The HandBox Amplification thread

wateroftyne

10 minutes ago, RikiB said:

I was told it’s plenty loud enough as it’s class AB and not class D but my GK legacy is lots louder.

Something definitely not right. I would take it to a tech if I was you. 

I'm using a R-400 with a pretty efficient Berg 212 cab for a loudish rock band playing reasonably large stages and I'm not having any issues with it not being loud enough. 

• Like 1

My R400 is set with gain now at 1, bass and treble at 12, contour off and volume never above 11 at the very most using 2 x bf compacts and that's plenty for every big gig l do. The red protect light never comes on.

Unfortunately it needs sorting mate☹️

• Like 1

But the volume has always been this way even before the HB light issue. I did wonder but thought I was turning up more because the knobs were linear or whatever the term is. I’ll have to find someone not too expensive to have a look maybe then. 

4 hours ago, RikiB said:

half the watts

When push comes to shove that's all your headroom used up in keeping up. The difference between having some headroom and no headroom is more significant than the 3dB that is not there with half the watts. 210 cab shouldn't be much difference in ultimate loudness because 1000w up it is not going to get used.

The wrong lightshow is more reliable as an indicator something is amiss.

15 hours ago, Woody1957 said:

My R400 is set with gain now at 1, bass and treble at 12, contour off and volume never above 11 at the very most using 2 x bf compacts and that's plenty for every big gig l do. The red protect light never comes on.

Unfortunately it needs sorting mate☹️

This is exactly how the amp was for me before its journey down to Riki.

On 21/07/2023 at 06:57, RikiB said:

I was told it’s plenty loud enough as it’s class AB and not class D but my GK legacy is lots louder.

It’s not due to the difference between class AB versus D. That’s a false premise to start with. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, agedhorse said:

It’s not due to the difference between class AB versus D. That’s a false premise to start with. 

Believe me and the other people on here with a fully working , fully functioning R400, this amp is plenty loud enough.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My WB100 runs pretty hot too. Hotter than the Marshalls our guitarists use. Its an all valve amp in a small box so you are gonna get a fair bit of heat next to the casings. Other valve amps would have a larger gap between the top of the valves and the top of the amp with a grill for ventilation. Can't remember if it has a fan in it or not. Can't say i've heard one when i've used it at home on the odd occasion.

iI'd agree about same a s hot Latte is probably a good description.

Dave

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

My WB100 runs pretty hot too. Hotter than the Marshalls our guitarists use. Its an all valve amp in a small box so you are gonna get a fair bit of heat next to the casings. Other valve amps would have a larger gap between the top of the valves and the top of the amp with a grill for ventilation. Can't remember if it has a fan in it or not. Can't say i've heard one when i've used it at home on the odd occasion.

iI'd agree about same a s hot Latte is probably a good description.

Dave

Good to know! Yeah the grill on the back is hot, I can hold my hand on it comfortably for about 5 seconds or so before it starts to feel uncomfortable. I've messaged them just for some piece of mind so will see what they say about operating temperatures. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

Good to know! Yeah the grill on the back is hot, I can hold my hand on it comfortably for about 5 seconds or so before it starts to feel uncomfortable. I've messaged them just for some piece of mind so will see what they say about operating temperatures. 

Yep that's the same with mine. I was thinking the top of the amp was very hot first time i used it but not enough to bother me. Most small footprint all valve amps get very hot.

Just remember to switch off right away after a gig and allow time for it to cool a bit before throwing in the back of your car and try and store flat on its feet.

Let us know what reply you get tho just in case something aint right. Have to say it works without issue. 

Dave

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Yep that's the same with mine. I was thinking the top of the amp was very hot first time i used it but not enough to bother me. Most small footprint all valve amps get very hot.

Just remember to switch off right away after a gig and allow time for it to cool a bit before throwing in the back of your car and try and store flat on its feet.

Let us know what reply you get tho just in case something aint right. Have to say it works without issue. 

Dave

Well I did get a response but not sure I did a good job of explaining myself. I think he thought I was complaining about the fan noise levels as well. He said the temperature wasn't a concern though!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MrDinsdale said:

Well I did get a response but not sure I did a good job of explaining myself. I think he thought I was complaining about the fan noise levels as well. He said the temperature wasn't a concern though!

That's good news.  The amount of heat generated from valves is quite surprising. You wouldn't want to touch one.

Dave

• Like 1