Why become a member? ×

Back down to three...

Telebass

Ah well, times is hard, and space is limited, so I've sold off the Kramer and Yamaha, leaving me with just the Fender/Squier basses. Feels good, sort of lighter! Also sold a Squier Strat, but picked up a MIM Fender Strat instead...although I got it for less than I sold the Squier for...lucky!
:)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='budget bassist' post='305758' date='Oct 13 2008, 08:13 PM']Good score on the strat! And it's always nice when you don't have any GAS, i'm near enough GAS free right now, and it feels good![/quote]

Here's the Strat:-

A bit over-reliced (not by me!) but well worth £70 plus new pickguard, pickup covers, and knobs.

well iv only got one, but i dont think i need another! depite fears my hands were struggling with 5 strings, it turns out it was my bike causing the discomfort! :) so i'm once again smitten :huh:

Iv downsized alot with effects though over the past year, i now have one, and thats not even been delivered yet :huh:

Budget B, I'm guessing nineties, but the 'relicing' took off the serial. It's a Mexican one, for sure.

Kev, nice bass, but if you're a gigging bassist, then you need three, because:-
1) Always take a backup when gigging.
2) If something breaks, you still need to gig with backup.
3) ...is therefore the minimum stable for a gigging bassist.

And a great excuse to get more if you've less than 3!

[quote]1) Always take a backup when gigging.
2) If something breaks, you still need to gig with backup.
3) ...is therefore the minimum stable for a gigging bassist.

And a great excuse to get more if you've less than 3![/quote]

+1 for this. I've had jack sockets go on me at gigs before out of the blue and I've been greatful to have a backup. First time it happened was when I was in 6th form and fortunately this my mate let me use his bass for the set. I'm inclined to bring a backup unless the place I'm playing is a total s***hole.

I've currently got three basses too; Fender US Dlx Pbass V, Rickenbacker 4003 and a fretless pbass. They're all very different breeds but I like variety :) Got a six string fretless on order too which will be with me next August :huh:

Edited by BigBassBob

I actually only have one bass, and I do gig.

But it does have one slight 'cheat' - it's a Rickenbacker, so if the jack ever breaks I can use the other one! (OK, that means bridge pickup only with a mono cable in it, but it would do.)

In fact, proper US-made Switchcraft jacks are extremely robust and it's very rare to break one. I know major accidents can happen - and something like dropping it and breaking the headstock off would certainly be a problem! - but I just rely on keeping everything checked and in good order, being careful, and taking some basic tools with me. I don't like taking a second instrument because it's more to carry, more to risk being nicked (especially as the more you have, the more trips to/from the car and so the more difficult to keep an eye on it all) or knocked over... and to be really honest, I think taking too much stuff to a gig makes you look a bit pretentious anyway - sorry!

Yes, if I was in a professional band on tour of course I would take a backup, or possibly the 'magic 3' for exactly the reason posted above - when you're on the road it's not always as easy to get stuff repaired immediately.

But I'm sure there are many bassists who have gone through their entire careers with only one instrument.

I play guitar too by the way, and I apply the same rule there - I have to laugh at a lot of guitarists who seem to take half a dozen different ones to even tiny gigs because they 'need all those tones' - and yet sound almost the same on all of them :).

Edited by Thunderhead

[quote name='stylonpilson' post='307104' date='Oct 15 2008, 02:13 PM']Three is exactly the right number of basses to have. Anybody with three basses is clearly awesome.

S.P.[/quote]Well i am probally not awsome,but three is now the magic number for me...main/backup/one to spoil me.. :)