Why become a member? ×

Can someone peek inside their Vanderkley 112MNT?

funkle

Hi all

Idle curiosity here, in a player who has tried a lot of cabs out there. I am personally still rockin' a combo of the Tecamp Puma 900 and the Berg CN112s, and enjoying it. Owned and tried lots of cabs.

I still keep a keen eye on the cab and amp market. In the spirit of figuring out who actually has decent drivers, I have more or less worked out for at least some brands, from either the published specs or users opening them up, which manufacturers use which 12" drivers. And of course which ones I have played and like the sound of.

I'm just curious to know the drivers in a Vanderkley 112MNT. Can anyone pop theirs open and let me know what's in there?

FYI - I believe the following cabs use the following drivers. I have put ?? where I am unsure:

Audiokinesis TC112AF v2 - Eminence Kappalite 3012LF or variant, depending upon impedance
Baer ML112 - Eminence Kappalite 3012HO variant
Barefaced G3 cabs - Big Baby 2 and Super Midget etc - some significantly altered variant of Eminence Kappalite 3012LF
Bergantino CN112 - Faital 12PR300 variant
Fearless F112 - Eminence Kappalite 3012LF
TKS 1206 - Eminence Kappalite 3012LF
TKS S112 - Eminence Beta 12 (hat tip to Beer of the Bass)
Vanderkley 112EXT - Faital 12PR300 variant
Vanderkley 112MNT - ??

Pete

Edited by funkle

I don't know about the Vanderkley, but looking at your list, I'm fairly confident that the TKS S112 uses the Eminence Beta 12. They describe it as a ceramic Eminence driver and the specs check out. I also found an older post on a Swedish bass forum (via Google translate) where Tommy from TKS refers to using the Beta 12 in the earlier 112 model, the one before they changed the styling and added the S to the name.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1459881916' post='3020591']
I don't know about the Vanderkley, but looking at your list, I'm fairly confident that the TKS S112 uses the Eminence Beta 12. They describe it as a ceramic Eminence driver and the specs check out. I also found an older post on a Finnish bass forum (via Google translate) where Tommy from TKS refers to using the Beta 12 in the earlier 112 model, the one before they changed the styling and added the S to the name.
[/quote]

You're right, this is what Tommy told me when I ordered mine.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1459888313' post='3020672']
Why not just email Marc Vanderkley and ask?
[/quote]

He was kind enough to email me the driver chart, but asked me not to share it. Which I have respected. He wasn't wild on sharing the driver model, but he said it wasn't an Eminence.

I assume, like some other manufacturers, he wants to protect the specific type of driver he uses. I suspect he is using a great driver. It seems reasonable enough to peer inside a cab and have a look - I certainly have done.

I am interested in knowing where the money spent on this stuff goes. I may be a little OCD in this though. If someone would prefer to share privately, I can respect that too.

Edited by funkle

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1459893198' post='3020710']
If I were guessing I would have thought barefaced used a custom made by faital - that's just a guess though based on the driver name having similar system and the fact the horn is a faital by the look
[/quote]

Nope, 'tis a custom made by Eminence. There is a you tube video visit to the shop which talks about it and Alex confirmed to me when I ordered by Big Twin ll yesterday.

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1459896814' post='3020746']

Nope, 'tis a custom made by Eminence. There is a you tube video visit to the shop which talks about it and Alex confirmed to me when I ordered by Big Twin ll yesterday.
[/quote] I stand corrected!

Nice can you are getting there too