Why become a member? ×

Zoot Custom build

Bass Culture

[quote name='spiltmilk_2000' timestamp='1469200078' post='3096614']
Well? Did you pick it up? How is it? Where are the pictures??? Can't wait to see...
[/quote]
I did - just got back in the last hour after battling with car park that is the M6 on a Friday afternoon. It was worth it though.

When I arrived yesterday afternoon Mike took me into his workshop where the bass was waiting to be collected, innocently lying on the (protected) worktop. My jaw just dropped and I just stood there smiling like an idiot for several seconds. I had no idea it would turn out this good:
[URL=http://s120.photobucket.com/user/Myrtle2014/media/Zoot%20Custom/WP_20160722_09_23_39_Pro_zpseldsho1h.jpg.html][IMG]http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o168/Myrtle2014/Zoot%20Custom/WP_20160722_09_23_39_Pro_zpseldsho1h.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
And then, once I closed my mouth, we plugged it and gave it a listen. I'd taken my TC RH750 and we plugged into one of Mike's Zoot cabs which, he mentioned only afterwards, had a damaged driver. Even so it sounded simply fantastic. It's got the weight and character of a passive bass with the note definition and focus of an active bass. And it honks and growls like a beast. I'll do a NBD and proper review in a couple of weeks because if I write it now it will just be a list of superlatives! To say I'm overwhelmed though is an understatement. It's not only a fantastic player's bass, it's also almost a work of art. :)

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1469214714' post='3096783']
Stunning. How's the neck?
[/quote]
Fantastic actually. Profile is a soft 'V' and - I don't know how - but Mike's got it as close to a Wal fretless that was owned by a friend of mine which I played maybe 35 years ago as I've tried since. Very comfortable and the V is a subtle reference point for your thumb. Superb and incredibly fast. Did you try it in his workshop? If so I have you to thank for not taking any more off because it's perfect as it is. :)

[quote name='spiltmilk_2000' timestamp='1469261515' post='3096977']
Simply stunning! Can't wait until it's my turn to make a collection from mike but won't be until close to Christmas. The wait is killing me already. Looking forward to reading your full review!
[/quote]
Ooh. what's the spec for yours? Do share!