Why become a member? ×

NBD: expecting opinion to be divided!

uk_lefty

Considering the amount of bass schlepping I do either on public transport or on a bike, I've often wondered about something like this Hohner.

I'm not sure it would fit live with the folk band I play with (!), but for practice it would literally be a weight off my back.

I've just got a Steinberger Synapse. I've only had it a couple of days so not much playing yet - get comfortable with aesthetics & practicality, & the rest of it makes a lot of sense indeed. The tones on mine are absolutely fine too.

Instrument looks are very subjective. I generally don't have an issue with headless or stick style instruments, but find all Gibson branded basses, single cut instruments & things like Danelectro body styles completely hideous!!

I like them a lot - I'm on my 4th :). I posted about the headless/body-less genre here and got some interesting answers.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/277945-headless-body-less-basses/page__p__3002942__hl__headless__fromsearch__1#entry3002942"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/277945-headless-body-less-basses/page__p__3002942__hl__headless__fromsearch__1#entry3002942[/url]

They are so practical to take as a back up as they take up no space in the car or on stage - just stand solidly on the floor against the wall/cab/whatever. But also very handy for those of us who gig in very tight spaces - you don't end up crashing the headstock against cymbals. I found the same as others have mentioned - the way it hangs puts the bass further to the left, but the lack of headstock makes it still register ok with my brain that there is a bass where there is usually a bass - resulting in a tendency to play a couple of frets too high. But you soon adjust - I wear the strap in the middle of my chest, not to the left - and after a while can swap between basses without thinking. As for the size thing - so what? I am not small but don't feel self-conscious wearing one.

Have to say (again) that my latest B2B is a revelation after having had three B2As. With a bolt on neck and P/J pickups, the tone is much closer to my favoured Precision tone, although I always found there was a sweet spot on the B2A that approximated to one. Plus this one [i]doesn't[/i] have the drop D lever, which makes palm muting much easier.

As you say, marmite basses. I can't see these ever being collectible, though.

BTW - I found that a Plano SE Rimfire gun case fits pretty much perfectly as a hard case. £35 on eBay.