Why become a member? ×

Bass amp for jamming with drummer

crashdesk

Hi,

Just starting out...again, and jamming with mate on drums, possibly guitar player too. All just for fun at the moment. Any recommendations on wattage required to cut through. Just something really decent. Play with fingers and don't like plucking too hard. Looking at the Ashdown amps st moment.

Cheers for any help. If you need any more info to get some good suggestions together.

PS Was thinking combo/solid state

Cheers!
C

Edited by crashdesk

Depends on how hard the drummer hits the skins I suppose. With one drummer I know I can get away with using my GK 110 Backline, with another I need pretty much most of what my TE AH150 provides. Some drummers can't do "quiet". As for guitarists, most of them can only hear themselves so need the maximum volume they can get...for this I recommend a hammer to the left temple. ([i]I was going to put a smilie but after thinking about it I've decided it should be compulsory!![/i])

I use an Ashdown EB180 combo for rehearsals, and evener small gigs, no problem competing with a hard hitting drummer, guitarist and blues harp player with a very loud Fender Bassman.

The combo cost me £90 three years ago.

Cheers folks!

I have the opportunity to buy an ASHDOWN MAG [color=#3C3241]250 watt [/color][color=#3C3241]RMS. Maximum output 500 watt for £90. Good buy? Also, anything I should be looking out for with second hand bass amps?[/color]

[color=#3C3241]Thanks,[/color]
[color=#3C3241]C[/color]

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1458039145' post='3004047']
Would be handy to know your budget and if there's any transport issues. Ashdown stuff is OK also old trace elliot gear is good value and rarely struggles to keep up with even the loudest drummers.
[/quote]+1 for Trace Gear their watts are twice as loud as anybody else's, Fender rumble 500 have got a rep for being loud, but my T E 300 watt combo is just as loud if not louder (I've got both btw)

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"Would be handy to know your budget and if there's any transport issues. "[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Transport isn't an issue. Will be lugging it out of the house once a week to begin with. Regarding budget, just looking to good value for money. If you can let me know about the Ashdown for £90 offer I posted above that would be great. It appears to have more than enough wattage for my needs and is cheap. Just wary of committing too much money at this stage as I will prob go through a few amps to get the right sound.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cheers![/font][/color]

[quote name='crashdesk' timestamp='1458033707' post='3003968']
Cheers folks!

I have the opportunity to buy an ASHDOWN MAG [color=#3C3241]250 watt [/color][color=#3C3241]RMS. Maximum output 500 watt for £90. Good buy? Also, anything I should be looking out for with second hand bass amps?[/color]

[color=#3C3241]Thanks,[/color]
[color=#3C3241]C[/color]
[/quote]

Other than the obvious, like physical damage, I'd have a listen to it and make sure the speakers are OK and that all the knobs and buttons work, and if they do, buy it before someone else does. A MAG 250 for the price I paid for my EB180 has to be worth having. Ashdown gear is pretty robust in my experience, and they have a good reputation for looking after their customers. Getting it to Essex from Belfast might not be cheap if you do need work, though!

As a Mark Bass user myself, you're chucking a lot of a money at an 802 for just 150 watts output. You could get a second hand CMD 121 P for around £400 which is 300 watts and 500w with an extension (not that you'll need it). Or a second hand LMII or 3 and a 210 Traveller or NY121 for around £400 too.

[quote name='bassmachine2112' timestamp='1458379526' post='3007040']
I will not fanny about.
Playing with drummer and guitar-500 watt minimum and a good efficient cab.
It,s all about headroom and you might need it later on,buy once and enjoy,oh and you can turn the volume down if needed.
I,ll get shot down in flames for this but just saying
[/quote]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]No flames here, I was (half) jokingly going to say 1KW, pragmatically I just use my 700W head for all situations. Small cab (custom Shermann audio 15", 6" + horn) for portability, Barefaced Dubster 2 x 15 (the destroyer of worlds) for greater heft. How did we ever manage with 100W PAs and amplifiers.[/color][/font]

Edited by 3below

I got hold of a Trace Elliot head (paid £125 for it), says 200 watts on the back, I played my first gig with it last night ( with 2 cabs), I had the input gain on 9 (the overload light didn't flash once) and the output on 2 (9 o clock) and got told to turn down!