Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass pickups leaning...Problem?

bakerster135

Hi all,

So I installed a pair of Bare Knuckle pickups in my Jazz Bass over the weekend, and loving them!

Bizzarely however, I have noticed that each pickup has a slight lean to it - i.e. the neck pickup leans towards the fretboard, and the bridge pickup leans towards the bridge, no matter how I set the adjustment screws. I've even gone in and adjusted the foam underneath each pickup, so it's sitting completely straight, but the lean's still there!...

I just wondered if anyone's aware of any problems this might cause me, sound-wise, now or in the future!?

I'm willing to accept the very minor cosmetic aspect, and this doesn't cause me any issues when playing and seems to sound fine and balanced...

Strange question, I know, but would appreciate any advice on this.

Alex

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1457952497' post='3003208']
Ok...um....are the screwholes sunk into the body nice and straight ?

(Sure you've done all this tho....haven't you ?)
[/quote]

Yeah, I've examined pretty much every possibility I could think of...The screwholes are nice and straight, yeah, and the previous (original) pickups didn't have a lean. Thank you for the ideas though, they are appreciated!

It is possible that the holes in the pick-up covers are not truly vertical.

I had a leaning pick-up in one of my Precisions, to the point that it was binding against the scratch plate, but that turned out to be out-of-true holes drilled into the body. I filled and re-redrilled the holes and all is now fine.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1457952957' post='3003220']
It is possible that the holes in the pick-up covers are not truly vertical.

I had a leaning pick-up in one of my Precisions, to the point that it was binding against the scratch plate, but that turned out to be out-of-true holes drilled into the body. I filled and re-redrilled the holes and all is now fine.
[/quote]

This has happened to me.
Check your holes.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1457955039' post='3003241']
Could it be corrected by using some fairly sturdy foam under the pickups?
[/quote]

Pretty substantial block under each, which is straight and giving adequate push to each pickup, so it really should be the screws that dictate the position of the pickups...Confused :huh:

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1457953317' post='3003224']
Thanks guys! Although the lean is definitely there, it's not particularly serious...Although nothing was apparent when playing the bass, I guess I'm mainly concerned about whether this is likely to cause me any issues sound-wise, etc?
[/quote]

I guess it's a weird one but it's not going to make a huge difference unless they're really canted over.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1457958905' post='3003307']
I guess it's a weird one but it's not going to make a huge difference unless they're really canted over.
[/quote]

Nah, they're not, and they sound great. It's still annoying me though ;)...

Gonna get hold of some new pickup foam, and see if that makes a difference.