Why become a member? ×

Used basses without original case/bag

bootleg

I just bought a used AVRI 62 jazz from 2001 (must do a NBD) and it didn't come with the original (or any) case. A friend who always buys new said he was surprised by this.

Of the last 5 second hand basses I've bought only 2 of them came with the original branded case. Two of those with no case are higher end basses I would expect to have been delivered new with a branded case. AVRIs (certainly recent ones) come with tweed cases, certificate and candy.

What happens to the original case? It seems unlikely someone spends £1.5-£2k or more on a new bass without a case? Why separate the bass from the case?

Does the lack of a case diminish the value in people's minds significantly, or raise any questions of the provenance of the bass?

Edited by bootleg

It's always nice to have the original case / candy etc but I don't think it really has an influence on the price... I do wonder how they get separated though? Having said that, I do not have the original branded case for my new build Wal I received last year. I sold it with another Wal as I had a full flightcase from a previous purchase which I preferred.

Edited by CamdenRob

It doesn't really bother me. I always buy Hiscox cases for my guitars & basses anyway as the majority of branded cases are crap IMO.
Fender tweed cases are impractical, heavy, badly balanced things anyway - the first thing I did when I got my CIJ Precision was get rid of the tweed case.

[quote name='bootleg' timestamp='1457701716' post='3001102']

Does the lack of a case diminish the value in people's minds significantly, or raise any questions of the provenance of the bass?
[/quote]

Yes

and

Yes

to me...that said I wouldn't use the original case - I'd prefer a gig bag for day to day and my SKBiSeries for travelling...so the case would stay at home unused.

[quote name='EmmettC' timestamp='1457712743' post='3001266']
I would expect a reasonable discount to buy a bass without the original bag or case...
[/quote]

Conversely some folks make low ball offers for a bass that you might agree to but 'without' the case; leaving you to sell the case to recoup the difference! I've had it happen several times where buyers have said that they use x/y/z brand of case/gigbag and don't want the case that is with the bass, so would I knock off £20-£50 or whatever. Consequently I've got several branded cases off past basses, which have proved useful... for when I buy said brand of bass without a case! :lol:

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1457716024' post='3001310']

Conversely some folks make low ball offers for a bass that you might agree to but 'without' the case; leaving you to sell the case to recoup the difference! I've had it happen several times where buyers have said that they use x/y/z brand of case/gigbag and don't want the case that is with the bass, so would I knock off £20-£50 or whatever. Consequently I've got several branded cases off past basses, which have proved useful... for when I buy said brand of bass without a case! :lol:
[/quote]

That makes some sense, I have a Warwick Rockcase which a Mayones came in!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1457705452' post='3001152']
Whenever I've bought a bass that has came with a case I've always sold it on (usually with another bass right enough). I don't see a point in having a case lying around doing nothing when I'm always just going to take the Mono with me.
[/quote]

That's me too. I keep a MusicMan case and another lightweight one whose brand now I can't recall, and that's it. I nearly always use a Fusion F1 and accumulating hard cases is just not practical for me. Same with gigbags... I tend to give them away or include them when I sell another bass if it didn't have its own hard case etc...