Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Vintage series

therealting

Just wondering if anyone has tried one yet. I'm considering their smaller-bodied hollowbody guitar from the same range, but they have a couple of interesting short-scale (30") basses too.

http://m.guitarguitar.co.uk/Product/151218291668002

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1457435229' post='2998437']
Just wondering if anyone has tried one yet. I'm considering their smaller-bodied hollowbody guitar from the same range...
[/quote]

If you are going for one of their vibrato-equipped guitars make sure you try it first. Our guitarist had one for a while and the shallow break angle over the bridge meant that he was forever pinging the strings off their saddles. The problem is that for some reason they've omitted the bar that strings pass under on a real Bigsby unit.

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1457435229' post='2998437']
Just wondering if anyone has tried one yet. I'm considering their smaller-bodied hollowbody guitar from the same range, but they have a couple of interesting short-scale (30") basses too.

http://m.guitarguitar.co.uk/Product/151218291668002
[/quote]

I'm very tempted by the 5 string having seen/heard in being played when I was in Mexico recently. I think, from talking a few people, that you need to make sure you find a good one and there are better instruments out there albeit at a higher price range.

I still want one when I have some money though :D

I picked one up a couple of weeks ago.

First time I've owned a short-scale bass, or a hollow-body. The overall length of the whole instrument is the same as a normal 34" bass, but the scale is shorter since the bridge is some way into the body.

Switched the strings to D'Addario Chromes. By the way, despite the 30.3" scale, it takes normal 34" strings due to the distance between bridge and tailpiece.

Doesn't weigh much: 3.0 kg.

Haven't played it out yet (first chance to is over the next few days), but so far at home it seems to have a nice, deep tone but while still remaining tight - not boomy.

[quote name='jrixn1' timestamp='1457583791' post='2999856']
I picked one up a couple of weeks ago.

First time I've owned a short-scale bass, or a hollow-body. The overall length of the whole instrument is the same as a normal 34" bass, but the scale is shorter since the bridge is some way into the body.

Switched the strings to D'Addario Chromes. By the way, despite the 30.3" scale, it takes normal 34" strings due to the distance between bridge and tailpiece.

Doesn't weigh much: 3.0 kg.

Haven't played it out yet (first chance to is over the next few days), but so far at home it seems to have a nice, deep tone but while still remaining tight - not boomy.

[/quote]

Looks nice! Which model is it, and how do you find the finish?

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1457601764' post='2999957']
Which model is it, and how do you find the finish?
[/quote]

The model is AFBV200A.

I think they've done a good job on the finish. They have not gone over-the-top, and the overall impression from a couple of feet away, or more, is it looks great!

If you spent some time examining it really closely, you would probably know it's not actually an old, battle-scarred, vintage instrument.

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1457648389' post='3000716']
Does it have decent acoustic volume and resonance?
[/quote]

No, not really. It's definitely louder than an solid-body bass. You could practise around the house unplugged - but that's about it. You couldn't jam acoustically with other instruments. Also, the acoustic tone has no depth - not very bass-y.

(Just to clarify - in a previous post when I said "at home it seems to have a nice, deep tone" that was with a pre-amp and headphones.)

You asked the exact same question I was about to! The short scale 5 string is of particular interest. I get the bit about needing long scale strings because of the length of the instrument but I still wonder what the B may sound like and does it suffer fro "wobble". There are a couple of demonstration on YT and it seems okay but how does it perform in the real world of a band ?
As regards the other photo here,interesting, is the aging effect supposed to make it look like it's got woodworm? Otherwise it's a great looking instrument,do they do it in an unarmed version?

I tried the AGBV200A fixed bridge 4 string the other day while on a trip in New York.

The finish was meh... nice feel, but all the heavy dents and marks had been laquered on top and looked fake (they are! Lol). I was expecting these details to have a "manufactured" look and feel but on top of the original finish and not under it, just like any other roadworn style finish.

I tried it through an Ampeg V4B and a 4x10 Classic Series cab and the sound was modern compared to the Fender Coronado bass that I tried before the Ibanez.

Neck pup sounded good, vintage-y and the tone helped to get a nice finger style out of it.

Both pups on sounded very modern, or at least that was my though in the shop and through the Ampeg (which is not my 1st preference when it comes to amplification).
Nice finger style in this position, a lot of articulation and with the tone knob you could tame those highs a little to get it back into a more vintage vibe, but the Ibanez retained that modern scooped sound as far as I can remember (the scoop was less pronounced on the Fender Coronado when both pups on).

Finally, the bridge pup had some nice bite to it and harmonics sounded lovely. Again, the tone control helped to tame the high end but maintained a nice punch.

The neck felt smooth and was nice and fast and as far as I recall, between a J and a P feel but more towards a thinner profile.
Not chunky at all.

The hardware looks and feels really good. The knobs have a rubber/plastic ring that helps with finger traction compared to the Gibson style speed knobs that sometimes slip during a live setting.

Weight was good, around 4kg I guess and way less than the Fender Coronado that was extremely body heavy and not balanced at all.

I was expecting a thumpy, old school bass and got hit by a versatile instrument that could possibly fit in most musical enviroments easily.

I unfortunately had no time to try the 5 string version and the shop was not stocking the full Hollowbody yet but I will certainly wait until they are stocked here in London.