Why become a member? ×

Import duty/VAT from Singapore

skampino

You can't really calculate the total amount accurately, because firstly HMRC don't always classify basses properly which means that the import duty they calculate might not be the the same as the one you have excepted. Secondly the clearance fee that you will be charged varies depending on the overall value of the item and the company who is doing the delivery in the UK.

Adding 25% on to the overall cost and shipping generally gives you a slightly higher figure than the the actual final cost but at least you won't have any nasty surprises.

Except... the VAT and import duty will be calculated on the declared (insurance) value of the item and shipping so that if the seller over-insures the bass, you will be charged the full insured amount and then have to try and claim back the excess.

Guitars of all kinds carry 3.2% duty:-

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/measures.jsp?Lang=en&SimDate=20160227&Taric=9200000000&LangDescr=en

The duty is based on the value of the item if it includes shipping and insurance, or the supplier may put it separately on the invoice but it is still included for duty purposes. VAT is 20% of the value of the item (including shipping and insurance) plus the duty. The carrier will almost certainly add a clearance fee and a small percentage for prepaying the duty and VAT to customs.

Do not use rip offs like Paypal for sending currency other than UK stirling

Use these people https://transferwise.com/

When i bought my Carvin head from Germany, ( it wasn't Thomann ) neither my bank or Paypal were acceptable on pricing. Both wanted around £30 + for the privelege of changing the £ to Euros. The German website wanted Euros, obviously

Transferwise charged me around £2.50 and it was a pretty faultless exchange. The German website was a little apprehensive, but they agreed. After all, if they dont get their money, they dont send the goods, so there's no problem for them