Why become a member? ×

Aguilar Tonehammer

TheGreek

Well mine arrived today, had a quick blast with my Bongo, Sire V7 and Streamer LX through my Barefaced Big Twin 2 and am liking what I hear so far. I did think about putting my Shuttle 9.2 up for sale as soon as the TH arrived but I think I'll A/B them at a rehearsal first. First impressions are good though, nice warm tone. Looking forward to giving it a work out at volume. As an aside, and apologies for going OT, but have to say it's a miracle that I got it at all. The seller sent it with Hermes, I've been away for a couple of days and tracking it via myhermes. Checked today before heading home from Devon and was pleased to see it had been delivered and signed for (my retired neighbours take in and sign for parcels for me regularly). However when I arrived home a few hours later, I was staggered to find it wedged under the front of my wife's Mini on our driveway, in full view of anyone who walked up to our front door! So, clearly it hadn't been signed for. If, as a courier driver, you were going to leave a parcel under a vehicle, why would you choose to unsuccessfully wedge it under a Mini and leave it in full view when my VW Transprter was parked right up against the house and would have kept the parcel hidden from view?! Anyway, sorry about the OT rant, will let you know how the A/B with the Shuttle pans out!

It was a good option for a lightweight rig but not loud enough.
I liked the sound but I had to work a tad too hard on it... so I went with another amp and
then that confirmed I wouldn't need to keep the TH anymore and I had 4 amps already.

It should be plenty loud enough for my needs, I rarely have to push the master volume on my Shuttle 9.2 past 11 o clock. We shall see though. As I said, I'm likely going to keep the Shuttle long enough to do some A/B testing at gig volume with the band.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1457143547' post='2995842']
Agree, you have to do a fair bit of work with it to get the sound you want, especially with the Gain and Drive as they are very interactive with each other. But as said, once you hit that sweet spot........
[/quote]

I thought the Drive knob was a distortion knob and I keep it off all the time. Am I missing something?

Edited by stevie

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1458826241' post='3011278']
I thought the Drive know was a distortion knob and I keep it off all the time. Am I missing something?
[/quote]

I play in a variety of bands, but in even in the mellower group I have gain and drive both up at around 2 o'clock...

[quote name='iamtheelvy' timestamp='1458826434' post='3011282']
I play in a variety of bands, but in even in the mellower group I have gain and drive both up at around 2 o'clock...
[/quote]

Looks like I am missing something then. I'll give it another go next time it's set up.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1458826241' post='3011278']
I thought the Drive knob was a distortion knob and I keep it off all the time. Am I missing something?
[/quote]

It`s a drive/gain type feature, but as you turn it up the lows and highs reduce slightly, giving it more of an old valve amp being driven character - much tighter on the lows, and less sharp on the highs. Getting gain/drive just via the Gain control you have therefore have a more modern sound, use the Drive and it`s more old-school. And combining the two, well a mixture of both.

Well that's a clear explanation, Lozz, although I admit I'm more confused than before. I don't want any distortion at all (call it grit if you like). I leave that to the guitars. I also find that I need to boost the treble to about 3 o'clock to cut through, even though my speaker has a midrange driver in it. So I don't really want any less treble. Anyway, thanks for the pointers. I'll have a fiddle at the gig on Saturday.

From the user guide

[quote]The Drive control changes the gain structure and EQ interactively with the GAIN control position. By modifying the circuit structure, Drive gives a “vintage voiced” EQ and gain structure that adapts to how you set the GAIN control. The lower the GAIN control setting, the “flatter” the EQ applied. The higher you set the GAIN control, the more saturated the gain structure becomes, and the more the bass is tightened and the treble smoothed.

The Drive circuitry surrounds the midrange controls, enabling you to get a huge variety of tonal characteristics by simply adjusting the GAIN, MID LEVEL and MID FREQ controls.

When the Clip light turns red it indicates that the preamp is being driven into clipping. Clipping can be a desirable characteristic, depending on your taste. If you would like a cleaner sound you can experiment with the input pad, Gain, Drive, and Tone Controls. All of these things, including the output level of your bass, affect how often the light will go off. Clipping the Tone Hammer 500 will not cause any shutdowns or damage to your amplifier.[/quote]