Why become a member? ×

G&l tribute active and dying battery dilemma

kevvo66

For the techs amongst us I'm not in that categorie,I love this bass but it eats batteries like their going out of fashion ,2,9v any suggestions on batteries that last I've even thought having her converted to passive pups but think thank kill it's loveliness sound wise that is

Thanks in advance
Kev

Kev, the G&L is actually already passive. It has passive bass and treble controls with a line driver after the vol and tone section. If you want passive just switch it to passive or take the battery out.
Regarding the eating of batteries, assuming you are unplugging the lead, the likelihood is a problem with the jack socket shorting out and draining the battery.

Agreed, an L-2000 will run quite happily in passive mode with the battery removed or depleted. Then the passive/active/active with treble boost switch (the one nearest the bridge) effectively becomes a kill switch.

This is of course assuming we're talking about stock wiring...

• 2 weeks later...

Have any of the electronics been replaced recently?
I had this problem with my 'Ray.
When replacing the battery box, I mistakenly soldered the red wire on to the same lug that connects the positive current to the eq, basically hardwiring the battery to the pre amp. I should have soldered it the the other lug, meaning that the circuit is only complete once the metal of the jack plug connects the two lugs.