Why become a member? ×

FS/FT MIA Jazz Fretless 1999 - TRADED

martthebass

I 've had this bass for a few months now - originally bought off a fellow BC'er.
It was bought to use in an 'acoustic' jam night. Unfortunately that has now gone south and I'm more in need of a good 5 stringer as my reportoire of Cream, Talk Talk and Pino isn't really that useful in my current activities and this is too nice a bass to sit in a case.
It's in pretty good condition with just a few cosmetic scratches on the front (only visible up close) and a 2mm ding on the lower horn. No buckle rash at all. It's currently strung with fairly new D'addario flats and there is no visible fretboard wear.

It comes with a near mint C&G Fender vintage style case in black tolex with the plush funky orange fur lining.

I'd prefer a trade on this as cash seems to be in short supply and have some cash to put into a deal against a good condish G&L or Ray5 if anyone's got one going spare. Cash wise I'd be looking to get back something close to what I paid - £500 with delivery but I'm open to negotiation. I'm not in a mad rush to part this out so I'm happy to sit back and see if the credit crunch is easing any....

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='martthebass' post='288593' date='Sep 21 2008, 04:34 PM']Hmmmmmmmm.

Any takers at £450?[/quote]

Great price for this IMO. Don't think you should be in too much of a hurry to bottom out the price - I'd be surprised if it didn't sell with a little persistence at this price.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='288605' date='Sep 21 2008, 04:50 PM']Great price for this IMO. Don't think you should be in too much of a hurry to bottom out the price - I'd be surprised if it didn't sell with a little persistence at this price.[/quote]

Cheers BW.
Feeling that £450 is about the going rate on these (especially with the custom case - cheapest I've seen these is $149 without taxes/shipping)), just gotta wait for someone who wants a Fretless.

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='Quatschmacher' post='288693' date='Sep 21 2008, 07:25 PM']Oh man, this is so tempting. I've got the cash burning a very big hole in my pocket, but I'm supposed to be saving for a new camera. I guess you're local too - I'm in Sheffield.[/quote]

Very local - Rotherham

Don't forget a bass is for life not just for Christmas :)

Hiya IS.

Nice to see the expanding contigent of the Rotherham 'Chapter' on BC.

Can't think of anything I've played in that you might have seen. Maybe, Hot Ice (Rock covers - 1990's), UK (Britpop covers - Mid - late 90's), The Overtones (Rock covers - late 90's to early noughties) and currently MGM (Trio - 60/70's covers). More often recently tho numerous jam nights in the area playing whatever, if you're ever in the vicinity let us know.

Hi Mart.

I may be interested in your fretless Jazz. Would this USA G&L L2500 Blueburst/Maple (late 2007 - I think) interest you?

At present strung with TI Jazz Flats but I have the factory D'Addario rounds (I think). It doesn't have its own case but I have an old battered case for shipping.

Condition very good with no dings although one or two very small snags on the headstock.

PM me if you want to talk prices.

Dave

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='292291' date='Sep 25 2008, 11:10 PM']That G&L looks like a nice score, mate :)

Rich.[/quote]

It is a very nice bass although I've not been able to really get on with five strings and the neck width that goes with them. But that was definitely my problem and not the bass itself.

So, as well as Mart's fretless Jazz, I am planning a four string tuned BEAD - probably try it on my P bass after I get my Lakland Skyline Decade which is coming soon.

But some excellent growly tones are available on the G&L and I might just get an L2000 four string version sometime in the future. We'll see.

[quote name='martthebass' post='289135' date='Sep 22 2008, 01:19 PM']Hiya IS.

Nice to see the expanding contigent of the Rotherham 'Chapter' on BC.

Can't think of anything I've played in that you might have seen. Maybe, Hot Ice (Rock covers - 1990's), UK (Britpop covers - Mid - late 90's), The Overtones (Rock covers - late 90's to early noughties) and currently MGM (Trio - 60/70's covers). More often recently tho numerous jam nights in the area playing whatever, if you're ever in the vicinity let us know.[/quote]

Hello fellow Rotherham man
Good luck with your new bass
I may have seen you or even worked with you.
Hot Ice, did you end up as a duo?
UK Britpop, I once did a show case doing sound for an Abba Tribute show and there was a great Britpop band there round about late 90s there was also a band doing the Yates wine lodge circuit.
I also worked for a few years as a bass player with a band called Dizzy Spells.

[quote name='ironside1966' post='295354' date='Sep 30 2008, 01:01 PM']Hello fellow Rotherham man
Good luck with your new bass
I may have seen you or even worked with you.
Hot Ice, did you end up as a duo?
UK Britpop, I once did a show case doing sound for an Abba Tribute show and there was a great Britpop band there round about late 90s there was also a band doing the Yates wine lodge circuit.
I also worked for a few years as a bass player with a band called Dizzy Spells.[/quote]

Hah, small world, think I may have seen you in dizzy spells?

Hot Ice - long way down the line ended up as a trio with me and the guitarist and a new singer but we never worked as Hot Ice again. Let me know if you're doing anything local.

[quote name='martthebass' post='296346' date='Oct 1 2008, 11:21 AM']Hah, small world, think I may have seen you in dizzy spells?

Hot Ice - long way down the line ended up as a trio with me and the guitarist and a new singer but we never worked as Hot Ice again. Let me know if you're doing anything local.[/quote]

Well Parcel force 24/48/72/whatever finally delivered the G&L2500 that has replaced this jazz F'less.

All I can say is that it was well worth the wait, this is a truely excellent bass and I hope that someone will prod me repeatedly with a big stick if I ever try to sell it.....

Edited by martthebass