Why become a member? ×

Re mixes

mentalextra

Not sure if this should go in general discussion but I'd be interested in everyones opinion. Having a teenage daughter in the car usually means listening to Kiss FM, and their remixes. She asked me if the original artist has any control over the remix of a track, and the extent to which it can be changed? And what happens if they heard a remixed track of there's that they didn't like. I'm guessing they have no control and its hard cheese regardless of how awful it is?

Often it will be the record company that holds the rights, not the artist, especially with older contracts. Usually the finished track will be submitted for approval, but as you can imagine, if the artist is no longer with the label they will be happy to take the money.

I used to be involved in licensing in record companies, fortunately never did anything quite so unethical!

It does vary. The artist may have terms in their contract relating to control/sign-off on remixes, or it may be out of their hands. As far as the extent it can be changed, sometimes a producer may be given stems, or a full multitrack to play with, on other occasions it may just be the main vocal parts that are made available.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1455329075' post='2978292']
It does vary. The artist may have terms in their contract relating to control/sign-off on remixes, or it may be out of their hands. As far as the extent it can be changed, sometimes a producer may be given stems, or a full multitrack to play with, on other occasions it may just be the main vocal parts that are made available.
[/quote]

Ok, I see. Is there a 'cool off' period for brand new tracks released by major artists. If for example Jusin Beiber releases a new single, do the record companies want it left unmolested for a few weeks or can radio stations get stuck into it straight away?

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1455313587' post='2978199']
Not sure if this should go in general discussion but I'd be interested in everyones opinion. Having a teenage daughter in the car usually means listening to Kiss FM, and their remixes. She asked me if the original artist has any control over the remix of a track, and the extent to which it can be changed? And what happens if they heard a remixed track of there's that they didn't like. I'm guessing they have no control and its hard cheese regardless of how awful it is?
[/quote]

Sorry mentalextra, I may have misinterpreted your post - are we talking about remixes under the artist's own name, or those tracks (usually old tracks) that get ripped apart and put back together under a new artist vs or featuring the original? My post was really addressing the latter, when, reading mike257's post he, and very probably you were talking of the former?

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1455362987' post='2978390']
Sorry mentalextra, I may have misinterpreted your post - are we talking about remixes under the artist's own name, or those tracks (usually old tracks) that get ripped apart and put back together under a new artist vs or featuring the original? My post was really addressing the latter, when, reading mike257's post he, and very probably you were talking of the former?
[/quote]

I'm talking about radio stations taking relatively modern chart singles and remixing. Just listen to kiss FM. Interestingly we have been out in the car and when they play their remixed version of "what do you mean" my daughter turns it off! lol

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1455394939' post='2978837']
I'm talking about radio stations taking relatively modern chart singles and remixing. Just listen to kiss FM. Interestingly we have been out in the car and when they play their remixed version of "what do you mean" my daughter turns it off! lol
[/quote]

As I thought, got the wrong end of the stick first time. Yes, remixes will be part of an artist's contract negotiation, and with so little competition among labels these days, I would imagine it would only be a really hot act or a strong, well known manager who would manage to get full artist consent over remixes, licensing and so on. Has been a few years since I was in the industry, but these were rights labels always wanted, but would often concede, as there were always other companies for the artists to turn to. Now the choice for major labels has shrunk to Sony and Universal, so the artist has much less bargaining power.

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1455394939' post='2978837']
[/quote]

Remixes can be authorised by the label, or keen producers can get stuck in unofficially themselves, but I doubt it's the radio station that's responsible for them. It wasn't uncommon when CD singles were a thing to find a raft of remixes in lieu of a proper B side. Obviously it's more common in pop, dance, R&B etc than with bands.