Why become a member? ×

Etiquette and new owner of a sold instrument.

ialma

Dear me!

Given the speculative (flimsy) reasons why many here buy stuff it's got to be a reasonable bet that some will find they are not keen on what they've just bought. Most of my gear has been bought on the bounce. We provide a very useful service, so, IMO, it's reasonable to let a new owner know that there is a queue if they decide to move the item on.

Once I had an PM from a guy who said; you've just bought A but you've already got B. Do you really need both? Do want to sell one of them to me? A week later I called him back. It was a very helpful PM. I've sent many PM's to people telling them I'd be interested if they decided they wanted to sell.

BC has an open and public market place. If we leave feedback it's even more public. How this has anything to do with "etiquette" beats me.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1454759029' post='2972665']...How this has anything to do with "etiquette" beats me.
[/quote]

From the OED...
Etiquette: The customary code of polite behaviour in society or among members of a particular profession or group.

No more, no less; no big deal.

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1454690525' post='2972155']
Given that there are publicly accessible feedback threads, and the request was for a forum nickname, and not the personal details of the buyer, is this really a big deal? There have been instances where disgruntled buyers post threads about being disatisified with a deal and half the forum immediately knows who the other party is just by playing follow the feedback...
[/quote]

That's what I thought too.
I wouldn't think it was an inappropriate question, but that's just me. Would I give the nick of the buyer? Unless the buyer had given me any indication that he was a very private person, yes, I don't see why not. It's not like I'd give their address or phone number or a real name... Maybe the more cautious approach would be to ask the new owner if he is ok to pass on this information... but frankly, I don't see what the problem is. Being harassed by PM? It's extremely easy to ignore/delete/block someone if you wish...
Dunno. I think sometimes some people worry too much here.

Sometimes I buy something knowing full well I'll be setting it up, taking better images and selling it straight on. Generally I make a profit.

So having a ready customer could be good news, provided the new buyer is prepared to pay what I'm asking, not wanting to cash-in on the great deal that I was a lucky enough to get. (Just because I bought at a great price doesn't mean I have to sell at a silly price.)

Inappropriate question?

The mind boggles.

What's up with people? All this communication and no one is actually communicating, leaving people to second guess and jump to the wrong conclusions.

If you'd asked me (which you didn't :D ) I would have said I'd pass your details on in case he wants to sell. Job done. No feathers rustled.

Weird.

Don't think this has ever come up before and opinion seems to be divided here.

From a pragmatic viewpoint, I can see nothing wrong in asking the previous owner to pass a message on to the new owner.

If the new owner wants to discuss a deal then they'll do so, if they don't they won't. :)