Why become a member? ×

Question for Maruszczyk owners

keefbaker

So I've been listing after the 5 string Musicman Stingray HH stealth black because.. I mean.... Look at it.

[url="http://s141.photobucket.com/user/brendon8303/media/Guitars/Music%20Man/16MusicmanStingray5HH_03.jpg.html"]http://s141.photobucket.com/user/brendon8303/media/Guitars/Music%20Man/16MusicmanStingray5HH_03.jpg.html[/url]

I was after the HH for the flexibility but I was figuring if I get Adrian to make a "Stealth Black" 5 string Jake with a split coil, tappable humbucker and active/passive switch I could probably cover off the P, traditional Stingray and Jazz bridge sounds..

What do you think? Would it fit the bill? I know there's a lot of love for Maruszczyk basses and the guy seems to be at his prime in a pre-CBS Fender way at the moment, so I'm tempted to get one instead of the Stingray.

I'm tempted to get a P bass from him. However, this is my take on Musicman tones; if you want a Stingray tone you need a Stingray. I've seen and heard lots of basses with the H in the sweetspot but it doesn't sound the same to me. Often, it is too clinical (like the Sandberg Basic) and not enough grit and growl.

I don't have a Stealth Musicman but the Ray 5's I have converted me to using 5 string basses a lot of the time.

As Musicman20 says, only a Ray sounds like a Ray. But I would strongly advise you to try before you buy - the G string on the Ray 5 is REALLY close to the edge of the fretboard. It may not bother you, but I found it impossible to live with in the end. Which was a huge shame as I totally loved everything else about the one I bought. Swapped it for a Sandberg VM5 in the end; the sound is not quite as devastating (although still great in its own way) but playability is much better, for me at least.

I played a Ray5 and loved it. It wasn't stealth black though so I didn't buy it. Ok, looks like I might be sticking with plan A and when I feel like I can buy another bass I'll get a fretless Maruszczyk.

I need a grunty workhorse that looks great as well as sounds great and the stealth HH fits the bill.

I play a maruszczyk with a mm style humbucker in the bridge and a Delano 2 band active/passive eq. It sounds fantastic to my ears but it is not the same sound as a 2 rq ray.

Less metallic with more body to the sound I would say. I love the ray sound too and would like to get one at some point.

If I were in you position I would go for the maruszczyk given the custom options etc and the stunning build quality. Much more value for money and you get something unique to you.

If you want a Stingray, I'd buy a Stingray.
However Maruszczyk will build you anything you want, so in answer to your initial query, basically yes. I couldn't find a Precision with the very specific spec I wanted, so a Maruszczyk (for under £1K I might add) was a no brainer.

Maybe you could simply have him build it passive, but with a control cavity in the rear.....then just drop in one of the many 'vintage' 2 eq musicman clone preamps yourself.
Lots of people make them (including a member on here if I remember correctly), but East would be a good place to start:

[url="http://www.east-uk.com/index.php/bass/mmsr/mmsr-3-knob-2-band.html"]http://www.east-uk.c...nob-2-band.html[/url]

He sells it without the control plate, so all you need to ensure is that Adrian drilled your bass with at least 3 control holes plus a jack socket.
You could even buy the preamp (you might even find an actual vintage MM 2 band on eBay?!), and ship it to Adrian perhaps, and they'll wire it in, just ask him :)

Si

Aaargh.... Keep.... Flip.... Flopping.

Ok, my reasoning now is this. Maruszczyk might (in the realms of who-knows-what-will-happen-in-10-years) get bought out.... I can make something uniquely me there... I can always get an HH stingray down the road. Damn.... I think the Maruszczyk might be winning. I'll make my decision in March with a clearer head.

Edited by keefbaker

Oh no, it's just history isn't it....

Company gets good, people buy loads
Company gets great
Owner of company gets offer of massive buyout
Owner says fair enough
New owners ship manufacturing somewhere
Company drops in quality.

Not saying it WILL happen but if the cycle of history has taught us anything.....

Edited by keefbaker

[quote name='synthaside' timestamp='1454411242' post='2969400']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Maruszczyk ??? buyout ??? ... is this speculation or based on fact ... do i need to go order one before they double in price to there actual value.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Yes, where did you hear this? Got a web link you can post here?

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1454412138' post='2969408']
Oh no, it's just history isn't it....

Company gets good, people buy loads
Company gets great
Owner of company gets offer of massive buyout
Owner says fair enough
New owners ship manufacturing somewhere
Company drops in quality.

Not saying it WILL happen but if the cycle of history has taught us anything.....
[/quote]

I'm not knocking them, but I think you may be buying into Basschat hype a bit on that, I mean, how well known are they amongst bassist at large rather than the people who post here?

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1454324083' post='2968494']
So I've been listing after the 5 string Musicman Stingray HH stealth black because.. I mean.... Look at it.

[url="http://s141.photobucket.com/user/brendon8303/media/Guitars/Music%20Man/16MusicmanStingray5HH_03.jpg.html"]http://s141.photobucket.com/user/brendon8303/media/Guitars/Music%20Man/16MusicmanStingray5HH_03.jpg.html[/url]

I was after the HH for the flexibility but I was figuring if I get Adrian to make a "Stealth Black" 5 string Jake with a split coil, tappable humbucker and active/passive switch I could probably cover off the P, traditional Stingray and Jazz bridge sounds..

What do you think? Would it fit the bill? I know there's a lot of love for Maruszczyk basses and the guy seems to be at his prime in a pre-CBS Fender way at the moment, so I'm tempted to get one instead of the Stingray.
[/quote]

I've got a blacked out Jake on the way. I'll be sure to post pics when it comes :)

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1454410280' post='2969390']
Aaargh.... Keep.... Flip.... Flopping.

Ok, my reasoning now is this. Maruszczyk might (in the realms of who-knows-what-will-happen-in-10-years) get bought out.... I can make something uniquely me there... I can always get an HH stingray down the road. Damn.... I think the Maruszczyk might be winning. I'll make my decision in March with a clearer head.
[/quote]

Actually this is quite sensible reasoning. Maruszczyk is a small operation that works as a collaboration between Adrian Maruszczyk and the folks at Mensinger Guitars. While I don't imagine they are going anywhere tomorrow, they are not the same as a big company like Music-Man or Fender. Also, their output is clearly nothing like the big companies - each of their basses is hand-made. Most are done to order, and a few for the purpose of trade-shows etc.

So, I guess I would agree with your general reasoning - right now Maruszczyk is putting out some amazing instruments for prices that are just crazy when you stack them up against the other options out there. The Maruszczyk is not going to be a Music Man, but it will be something very special and can be as customized as you want.

I've not regretted getting my Maruszczyk one moment since first getting it into my hands and I have no doubt what-so-ever that when the GAS comes calling I will be going back to Adrian for another bass (or two...).

Stingrays are wonderful instruments too, but they are factory production basses made in vast numbers and by all reasoning will be around pretty much for years to come. With Music Man you're not depending on one or two people still being about and in the business.

Hi all ,

I know a bit Adrian , he and I are chatting often as we work together.

I can safely say he is so passionate about his company and his Job... he will NEVER sell to anybody. There's actually 17 people working and living thanks to his basses.

They have experienced their best year so far in 2015 by building more than 500 Basses and something like 368 custom O_O ....

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1454450255' post='2969949']
Hi all ,

I can safely say he is so passionate about his company and his Job... he will NEVER sell to anybody. There's actually 17 people working and living thanks to his basses.

They have experienced their best year so far in 2015 by building more than 500 Basses and something like 368 custom O_O ....
[/quote]

Very cool, glad to be a part of it :)

[url=http://postimage.org/][/url]

Si

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1454450255' post='2969949']
Hi all ,

[/quote]

Fantastic news! I'll be sending a mail for my own bass in a month or so I expect!