Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Aguilar Downsizing.?

bubinga5

I have an Aguilar AG500 single channel. I was thinking of selling it to fund a new bass,but i then got a bass i love. But. i wondered about getting a smaller amp like an Aguilar TH 350. I have not a clue about amp prices. Sorry I'm not trying to advertise my amp before you get arsey admin. Just wondered if its a sought after amp.?

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1454151328' post='2966918']
What are the prices of second hand TH500's and TH350's.?
[/quote]

About £425 and £320 respectively. I`ve read that the THs have a fairly different sound than the AG, the AG being a bit more "modern/precise" and the THs being more "vintage/warm". I use the TH myself and can confirm that description is pretty accurate. Always fancied hearing an AG but there don`t seem to be many around.

I hated the AG500 I had. Couldn't get a sound out of it that I liked. I haven't heard a bad report about the TH series really so don't see how it would be much of a downgrade. Totally different tone though. Fat and vintage.

I've been keeping an eye on used prices for the Tonehammer series. The 350 seems to hover around £300 to £330. The 500 just over £100 more.

A TH500 is a great amp, I've used mine for 2 years and it fits in really well with my Precision and Stax style bass thumping. The TH350 is just as good in a smaller package.

Based on the tracks you keep posting I'd imagine you would do better with a more modern sounding amp, a Genz STL or maybe GK?

The Tonehammer has a really lovely, mid-rangey, old-skool core tone - as others have said, if you're after a 'set and forget' vintage sound then you're golden. But if your sonic needs extend beyond that then you might find it too restricting. This was my experience with the TH500 - not versatile enough for me, and I got bored with it after a while.

Edited by GrammeFriday