Why become a member? ×

A German-made Warwick 5-stringer for £349?

Clarky

[quote name='joe_bass' post='285864' date='Sep 17 2008, 01:57 PM']Seen those go cheap on Ebay before. Don't know if its the fact that they are basically Rockbasses.[/quote]
However, its not made in China and has higher spec than a Rockbass (wenge etc) so seems a very good price to me - I just don't want 5 strings!

[quote name='joe_bass' post='285864' date='Sep 17 2008, 01:57 PM']Seen those go cheap on Ebay before. Don't know if its the fact that they are basically Rockbasses.[/quote]

I see the Rockbasses as the barstardised cousin of these – Same bridge and cheapish body, but nowhere near as nice a neck. The neck on this Streamer Standard is the same Ovangkol neck that is on all the newer bolt on basses...and of corse, it's "Made In Germany" :)

[quote name='joe_bass' post='285878' date='Sep 17 2008, 02:09 PM']Sorry I mean't they are seen as Rockbasses tbh.[/quote]
Either way, a European-made 'brand name' 5-stringer with decent specs (wenge, active MECs etc) for 349 notes must be appealing to someone out there

[quote name='joe_bass' post='285964' date='Sep 17 2008, 03:19 PM']Alright then mate well that's through your personal experience, obviously mine is different from yours.[/quote]

That’s cool man, obviously each to their own, but realistically you can’t really compare this to a Rockbass. The biggest difference (and one which is fundimental to the way it feels and plays) is the neck; there’s no way you can compare the neck on this Streamer Standard to the Rockbass necks. The neck on that is exactly the same as the ones on the 5 string Streamer LX (approx £1100) or the Streamer Jazzman (approx £1300) bolt on basses. It’s Rockbass money, but it aint a Rockbass, doesn’t feel/sound like a Rockbass either, but I guess “you pays your money, you takes your choice” etc…

[size=1]EDIT FOR TYPO...I'M USELESS![/size]

Edited by benwhiteuk

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='285981' date='Sep 17 2008, 03:29 PM']That’s cool man, obviously each to their own, but realistically you can’t really compare this to a Rockbass. The biggest difference (and one which is fundimental to the way it feels and plays) is the neck; there’s no way you can compare the neck on this Streamer Standard to the Rockbass necks. The neck on that is exactly the same as the ones on the 5 string Streamer LX (approx £1100) or the Streamer Jazzman (approx £1300) bolt on basses. It’s Rockbass money, but it aint a Rockbass, doesn’t feel/sound like a Rockbass either, but I guess “you pays your money, you takes your choice” etc…

[size=1]EDIT FOR TYPO...I'M USELESS![/size][/quote]

Sorry Ben I didn't mean to sound snappy lol. Point taken, I was getting more at the look of the instrument though. Could hardly comment on the instrument itself as I've never played this model. I'm not slating Warwick either having owned a Rockbass & now a Thumb, always been fond of the things lol.

Used to have one of these, the passive humbucker in mine sucked!
Bought it for £270 in loot and sold it for just over £200. It's a very limited bass and always sounded like a budget P, not a patch on my Corvette with none of the trademark Warwick sound.
The neck was lovely though but i couldn't get on with a 5 string Warwick neck. The cavity was big enough for a preamp though so i suppose it could be easily upgraded.

I'd rather have a punt on a second hand Corvette for similar money tbh

[quote name='joe_bass' post='286155' date='Sep 17 2008, 07:00 PM']Sorry Ben I didn't mean to sound snappy lol. Point taken, I was getting more at the look of the instrument though. Could hardly comment on the instrument itself as I've never played this model. I'm not slating Warwick either having owned a Rockbass & now a Thumb, always been fond of the things lol.[/quote]

:huh: yeah sorry man, I didn’t mean to jump on you like that. I’ve got a bad habit of possibly going a bit over the top when I’m trying to get what I'm attempting to explain across to other people :)

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='286190' date='Sep 17 2008, 07:56 PM']Used to have one of these, the passive humbucker in mine sucked!
Bought it for £270 in loot and sold it for just over £200. It's a very limited bass and [b]always sounded like a budget P[/b], not a patch on my Corvette with [b]none of the trademark Warwick sound[/b].
The neck was lovely though but i couldn't get on with a 5 string Warwick neck. The cavity was big enough for a preamp though so i suppose it could be easily upgraded.

I'd rather have a punt on a second hand Corvette for similar money tbh[/quote]

That really surprises me. My 4 string version sounds like a good passive version of that classic Warwick sound. I owned a budget P before owning the Warwick and the step up in quality was the difference between an X Factor reject and a multi-platinum selling recording artist…incomparable.

Deffo agree with you though about getting a decent Corvette Standard for this sort of cash, there’s usually a few around.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='286202' date='Sep 17 2008, 08:13 PM']:huh: yeah sorry man, I didn’t mean to jump on you like that. I’ve got a bad habit of possibly going a bit over the top when I’m trying to get what I'm attempting to explain across to other people :)

That really surprises me. My 4 string version sounds like a good passive version of that classic Warwick sound. I owned a budget P before owning the Warwick and the step up in quality was the difference between an X Factor reject and a multi-platinum selling recording artist…incomparable.

Deffo agree with you though about getting a decent Corvette Standard for this sort of cash, there’s usually a few around.[/quote]

I just didn't like the nasal sound it produced, didn't suit my Hartke gear at the time. Didn't even sound good through my little combo (which is very flattering to most basses!).
Also found the low B a little flappy and indistinct. Later used an OLP which was a much better 5er IMO
Maybe i only like active Warwicks! :huh:
I guess i was just dissapointed that i was expecting a fatter (with the humbucker) version of my Corvette and it fell well short.
Horses for courses an all that though!

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='286190' date='Sep 17 2008, 07:56 PM']Used to have one of these, the passive humbucker in mine sucked!
Bought it for £270 in loot and sold it for just over £200. It's a very limited bass and always sounded like a budget P, not a patch on my Corvette with none of the trademark Warwick sound.

I'd rather have a punt on a second hand Corvette for similar money tbh[/quote]

How right you are. I ordered the 2 p/up 5 string after reading the Guitarist magazine review when they first came out. I expected more but the Streamer Std was without doubt the most disappointing new bass I ever owned. the neck was ok but the bodywood was cheap looking and truly awful feeling The sound wasnt inspiring either and I couldnt punt it on fast enough. Bought a natural ash Corvette Std with the money which felt great and sounded great.

Having had extended fiddlettes on a couple of 4 string Warwick Streamers I ordered a new Streamer 5. Call me Mr Silly but I figured it would be similar !!!

It was my first 5 and I bloody hated it. Big , clumpy left hand full , string spacing from Satan's trick bag. Bah !! Plus , to my ears , it sounded like....nothing. Just nothing.

I haven't come here just to knock Warwicks , more of a warning to not go 100% by your experiences with a Streamer 4 if you have any.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='286806' date='Sep 18 2008, 07:24 PM']Having had extended fiddlettes on a couple of 4 string Warwick Streamers I ordered a new Streamer 5. Call me Mr Silly but I figured it would be similar !!!

It was my first 5 and I bloody hated it. Big , clumpy left hand full , string spacing from Satan's trick bag. Bah !! Plus , to my ears , it sounded like....nothing. Just nothing.

[b]I haven't come here just to knock Warwicks , more of a warning to not go 100% by your experiences with a Streamer 4 if you have any.[/b][/quote]

Totally valid point and goes for just about any bass.