Why become a member? ×

Some Sellers really grind my gears

Twincam

Pretty angry about this sort of thing.
Just been arranging to go have a look at a bass locally, I told the guy I was keen on it etc, and I've been trying too buy it for 2 days now. Exchanged a fair few messages etc.

Finally we arrange a time I can go see it on Saturday so I change my plans so I can go buy this bass.
Just seen my email at 11 or so pm he messages me saying oh I've sold the bass. Says it was advertised elsewhere so how has he sold it that late it wasn't on eBay, he claims he was not at home tonight either. Maybe someone is going for it tomorrow in which case that's just not cricket!

Ok it's his to sell in whatever way he wants and too whoever I have no issue with this. But DONT mess me around making arrangements for me to come over etc then just to message at 11pm saying it's sold.
Wtf...
If you think I'm being harsh then whatever. I wouldn't dare make arrangements with someone then sell the thing without giving them a hint it's advertised elsewhere so it could fall through. I could have bought something else in the meantime etc etc.

I hope it's not someone on here lol.

Well, to be fair if the vendor's got someone in front of them with the asking price in their hand they're not going to say no are they ? He's also emailed you to let you know it's sold.

I know it's annoying, but I don't think the vendor's done anything wrong.

/shrug/

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1452820701' post='2953875']
Well, to be fair if the vendor's got someone in front of them with the asking price in their hand they're not going to say no are they ? He's also emailed you to let you know it's sold.

I know it's annoying, but I don't think the vendor's done anything wrong.

/shrug/
[/quote]

At 11pm, When He said he wasn't in tonight?
Not angry at the loss of the bass or that he sold it to another. Just the fact I pre arranged a meet up for me to buy it. Feeling messed about that's all you don't arrange something like that to sell it too another.

You snooze, you loose is the expression.... If your really keen but cant make a fairly immediate arrangment to go, then offer a deposit...? Two Days of negotiating must have meant you wernt offering what he was asking? Maybe someone else was ?

I know its harsh, and feel,your pain... But experience tells me that two day deal negotiations usually mean some kind of compromise on either party, but typically the seller...
I dont know the facts granted, but unless you offered him the cash asking price, or secured a deal with a deposit..... Well, you havent at that point bought anything and in his eyes its most certainly still for sale.

There will be others... Keep looking ;)

Edited by Wonky2

[quote name='Wonky2' timestamp='1452821488' post='2953879']
You snooze, you loose is the expression.... If your really keen but cant make a fairly immediate arrangment to go, then offer a deposit...? Two Days of negotiating must have meant you wernt offering what he was asking? Maybe someone else was ?

I know its harsh, and feel,your pain... But experience tells me that two day deal negotiations usually mean some kind of compromise on either party, but typically the seller...
I dont know the facts granted, but unless you offered him the cash asking price, or secured a deal with a deposit..... Well, you havent at that point bought anything and in his eyes its most certainly still for sale.

There will be others... Keep looking ;)
[/quote]

I was offering him the asking price. He give me his home address etc we had reached a sold date and time. This is what annoys me, I was first in line.
If I give someone my address and arranged a day and date. I would let them know that the item was for sale elsewhere or others are interested. And if it could be sold elsewhere I certainly wouldn't make arrangements for someone to around my house or give them my address etc.

Anyhow I'm over it.....
Ah no I'm not lol.
Actually I'm ok I'm ok

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1452822259' post='2953885']
I was offering him the asking price. He give me his home address etc we had reached a sold date and time. This is what annoys me, I was first in line.
If I give someone my address and arranged a day and date. I would let them know that the item was for sale elsewhere or others are interested. And if it could be sold elsewhere I certainly wouldn't make arrangements for someone to around my house or give them my address etc.

Anyhow I'm over it.....
Ah no I'm not lol.
Actually I'm ok I'm ok
[/quote]

I think this was a fluke and in the future if your really sold and know there is no history of electrical or neck repair or damage just offer to buy it on the spot.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452823126' post='2953889']

I think this was a fluke and in the future if your really sold and know there is no history if electrical or neck repair or damage just offer to buy it on the spot.

Blue
[/quote]

I did offer to buy it on the spot! But he said he out on wed and Thursday. And a suitable time would be Saturday so that was arranged we agreed on 1pm he gave me his address etc.
I told him I wanted it etc I said I would pay his asking price.
We also arranged for Friday but something came up and he wasn't available at that time fair enough. But can see why I feel messed about

I will be honest I've had to pull out of deals myself as a buyer, but I've not had as solid of plans in place to do the deal

I best sleep

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1452824081' post='2953890']
I did offer to buy it on the spot! But he said he out on wed and Thursday. And a suitable time would be Saturday so that was arranged we agreed on 1pm he gave me his address etc.
I told him I wanted it etc I said I would pay his asking price.
We also arranged for Friday but something came up and he wasn't available at that time fair enough. But can see why I feel messed about

I will be honest I've had to pull out of deals myself as a buyer, but I've not had as solid of plans in place to do the deal

I best sleep
[/quote]

Then it probably wasn't meant to be. I bet you find another bass you like if not more than the one that got away.

Blue

The 'good' thing was that you never got ripped off in a deal .No cash lost, no dodgy bass.

Was it a gumtree deal? I only ask as I hear of so many incidents from people on here who had unpleasant experiences on gumtree .
Put me off of considering gumtree for anything .

If not gumtree , what site was it ?

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452858406' post='2954119']
Yeah, maybe the seller was super hurting for cash and sold to whoever got the cash in his hands first.

[/quote]

Regardless of that, the seller should make the buyer (in this case Twincam) aware that there is someone else who has got there first. It's common courtesy.

It's really just a case of an inconsiderate seller wasting someones time which [u]can[/u] [u]easily[/u] be avoided just by adding into one of the (seemingly many) e-mails that he has another prospective buyer.

Edited by Cameronj279

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1452857931' post='2954108']
You probably would have just decided you didn't like the bass in a weeks time anyway.....
[/quote]

That is a possibility. I find it hard too gel with an instrument. Been playing 2 years 8 months and had a lot of personal instruments. Only 4 of them I've truly liked a mim jazz bass now has a broken truss rod, a mim p bass special passive version recently sold on here (stupid of me), a bronco bass and a peavey millennium the last two didn't have a great range in sound but fantastic players.

I'm trying to only buy local now so I can actually try basses or bass equipment before hand to at least get an idea if I will like it.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1452858795' post='2954124']
The 'good' thing was that you never got ripped off in a deal .No cash lost, no dodgy bass.

Was it a gumtree deal? I only ask as I hear of so many incidents from people on here who had unpleasant experiences on gumtree .
Put me off of considering gumtree for anything .

If not gumtree , what site was it ?
[/quote]

Gumtree

Anyhow I'm cool with it now.

Edited by Twincam