Why become a member? ×

Fender Mexican (Standard) Jazz Basses... What's the overall opinion?

RustInPeace90

Hey everyone

I've been longing for a Jazz Bass again for quite a long time. I used to own one of the Squier VM 77 Jazz basses in black with the maple board and pearl block/binding but i swapped the neck with someone who had the natural VM so mine had the maple board with black blocks/binding and looked exactly like a Geddy Lee bass.

Anyway, I've been really GASing over a Jazz bass again lately but I don't know if I want to go for a Squier VM again or to go for a Mexican Fender. Obviously i know what the Squier basses are like and since they "re-released" them with the heavily lacquered neck, i've wanted one even more BUT (and this is a big but), I've become a huge fan of Guy Pratt and his jazz basses look absolutely gorgeous. Both "Betsy", the Burgundy Mist with EMGs and rosewood board one or his 62 Stack Knob in sunburst with a rosewood board. The under-stated appearance of both these basses has really made me want one kind of like that.

So yeah, what's the general opinion on here of the Mexican Fender Jazz Basses and would you choose them over the Squier VM Jazzes? (I've seen the Classic Vibe series and i'm not really interested in those so please don't suggest those).

Bare in mind, i'm going to be tuning to Drop B with it thanks to the new band I've joined. I've currently got my Tobias tuned down to Drop B but I would rather just use her for recording and not risk getting her damaged during gigs. Hence why I'd be getting a cheap Jazz Bass too. I'll probably be sticking EMGs in it... and a badass II... We shall see!

Thaaaaaaaaaanks.

I have a 2010 Candy Apple Red + Maple board Mexi Jazz and in a nutshell, It's superb. 8.4lbs, flawless finish and fit and great pickups. Satin finish neck too, super comfy!. General consensus round these parts is the Mexi factory has really upped It's game in the past few years. Tbh though if you're going to be modding, I'd just buy a Squier as a blank template to personalise to taste.

I'm pretty much is the same quandary at the moment , I want a jazz bass I love my Bitsa ... but ultimately its reached its best bass it can be , I got a little money from the collect family for birthday and Christmas So i went down to guitar guitar in Epsom because I knew they would have lots of Mim's to try ....

Did feel really good I loved the satin neck on the one I tried it felt like a wonderful instrument and it was very difficult to leave without it which we did because I'm more of an agonizer and hate the idea of paying top money for a bass in the shop that after consulting the serial number has been there for 2 and a bit years .

Let me put the cat among the pigeons ... and add the other reason why I walked away http://www.public-peace.de/index.php/bass-guitars/maruszczyk/elwood/4-string
People are speaking incredibly highly of them I would really really love someone who has some fender J's to do some in depth comparison but the way people talk about them
they seem close to american standard quality ???

Price wise once you get that converted from euro's its only 40 quid more than what I was looking at paying for a MIM but you get it shipped and a nice bag and strap ...
Im torn.

I think the MIM's are a fine work-horse bass - I was looking at them when I bought my jazz, went for a used US one in the end but there was really nothing wrong with the Mexican ones.

The MIMs I noodled on in the shops seemed better in quality & tone than the Squires I noodled on in the shops but I think it depends on whether you get good or bad examples of both, plus all the other variables that can occur when testing.

Other bands are of course available; Maruszczyk are the current flavor of the month on here but the previous favorites of Sire & Limelight could also be options.

No real experience with the Jazzes, but the post 2008 MIMs - and especially post 2012s - on the Precision range are excellent basses. I can`t see why the Jazzes would be any different. Is my US Precision better than my MIM, yes, but not as much as the price tags would suggest. I`d happily recommend the current MIMs, I gigged mine for a while and at no point did I think/feel I was playing a sub-standard instrument. And it didn`t sound like one either.

Got my MIM jazz a year or two back, wanted to get the Squier VM, but to me the neck on the Mex felt much better, ( in fact it's the nicest neck, for me, I've ever owned /played), and the finish was a bit better too, can't fault it at all. The pickups are a bit weaker than my Yamaha BB, but the BBs are notoriously hot, so no big surprise, they sound o.k to me. Balances perfectly, nice weight, great workhorse instrument IMO, got mine in a promotional weekend at PMT, good deal.

I like them, a lot. The older ones are not pretty, definitely look cheaper than new squires. But they have a nice growl, not that rich as US made or not that warm like Japanese with basswood bodies. But I really enjoyed my two MIM Jazz Basses. I have Squier VM now and while I like the slimmer neck, I'd love to change it for a Mexican Standard of Classic.