Why become a member? ×

Fender Am Standard Jazz

Funky Dunky

As you may or may not be aware, I lucked out big time and won one of these beauties a few months back. I was immediately impressed by the playability of the thing, and it sounded superb through my amp (a mere 40 watts of Fender Bronco).

Well, I had the opportunity to run it through separates in a studio last week. I also got the opportunity to lay down some bass on a couple of tracks for my mate.

This thing................sounds amazing. The CS pickups are incredibly rich and woody-sounding. I keep listening back to the recordings and I'm just knocked on my butt by the tone. Very little dialling-in, either. It was pretty much plug and play with all set flat save for a teeny bit less bass and a smidgen more treble ("Blasphemy!" I hear you cry) and the tone is just beautiful. Couple of people came to listen, and there were some approving nods when I played it unaccompanied. So it's not all in the hands... ;)

Seriously tempted to fire a CS Precision pup in my old Jim Deacon bass. Any thoughts on those?

Edited by Funky Dunky

First off, nice one re the Jazz. Secondly, the CS Precision pickup - do it. I`ve a 2015 US Precision which I bought based on hearing clips on here of Spongebobs Precision he was selling - just sounded great, just had to have one kinda thing. When I got it was knocked out by how good it sounded so I sourced one of these pickups from Thomann and put it in my backup MIM Precision. Sounds great. I really like them - a real rich/solid presence sound which can be tweaked either way very nicely indeed.

He he, just saw my alter-ego get a nod!

Even though I sold the bass on back in the Summer (it was amazing, but I'm just not a Fender man), I can echo Lozz's comments. The bass sounded awesome, both depth and power. I even recorded my band's last EP with it...first time I've ever recorded with anything except a Ricky. The last as well, not any slur on the tone at all...it just isn't me, but I'm stoked that I did it.

Probably the 'biggest' sounding bass I've owned, big +1 to the CS pups in there.

According to Chambers, 'luck out' means to have a run or instance of good luck (N American). Always the way I have understood it too. But either meaning could apply to buying a Fender - I'm just realising how darned variable they are as I hunt for a stablemate for my trusty JV.

I played a 2013 USA jazz a few ago and it was intriguing.

I'm a fender fan anyway - they just feel right to me - and also a P bass fan really, but this jazz had all the additional tonal variations but with a big dollop of Fendery character too.

My wallet is currently deciding whether I need it or not....

I am really a P bass player these days (grew out of stingrays 5 or 6 years ago)... but I picked up a 2015 US std jazz last week. I already regret it a little, it's the third time I've bought a jazz (the other two are long sold)...

It's a great instrument, jazz basses just sound a little weak for me, compared to my P bass. I'm trying to keep hold of this one though - I know if I sell it I'll just buy another one in a couple of years! Why do I keep doing this!!

[quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1452459241' post='2950159']
I am really a P bass player these days (grew out of stingrays 5 or 6 years ago)... but I picked up a 2015 US std jazz last week. I already regret it a little, it's the third time I've bought a jazz (the other two are long sold)...

It's a great instrument, jazz basses just sound a little weak for me, compared to my P bass. I'm trying to keep hold of this one though - I know if I sell it I'll just buy another one in a couple of years! Why do I keep doing this!!
[/quote]

I keep doing the same Gaz, for exactly the same reasons, Jazzes just don`t have that oopmh compared to my Precisions. Just picked up yet another Jazz though this time went for a Squier Korean made one. Little outlay and keeps my Jazz needs in check. It`s nice to have a Jazz around.