Why become a member? ×

What cheap(-ish) Bass?

Harryburke14

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1452254491' post='2948064']
Does anyone have any experience of buying a bass from Thomann? Juat want to know what they're like for shipping and make sure they don't send a guitar that's bashed up from bad packing and postage.
[/quote]
My experience has been very good indeed...

I have a V7 from Thomann and its fantastic it came really well packed [a box inside a box with lots of bubble wrap]
it played great straight out of the box the finish is spot on and it needed no truss rod adjustment when i lowered
the action a touch...i cant fault mine and it plays and sounds on a par with bass's 2 and 3 times more expensive...
as others have said Squier vm ,and vibe and mm fenders are great to ,if i were going for a passive bass i would go
for one of those but if you want active / passive option with e.q preamp etc. the Sire v7 would be my choice.

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1452254491' post='2948064']
Does anyone have any experience of buying a bass from Thomann? Juat want to know what they're like for shipping and make sure they don't send a guitar that's bashed up from bad packing and postage.
[/quote]

I've bought several basses from them. Their packaging is excellent. They did send a duff Fender Jazz once (scratched, misaligned nut slots, etc) but were very responsive when I complained and the replacement was perfect.

Go visit your local music shops and spend a bit of time playing their stock - getting on with the neck profile, balance, weight, scale length etc is very important, and although all the recomendations you've been given are likely to be good instruments in themselves, you might find some of them a bit of a culture shock if you've been playing a lightweight 30" scale bass.

If you find that the 34" scale instruments are not to your taste, you might want to investigate the decent quality 30" scale basses that are available (Scott Whitley (allthumbs on basschat) is a short scale devotee and has a face book page devoted to short scales that you can find here https://www.facebook.com/shortscalebass - he's probably owned and modded most of the short scales on the market),

I just bought a Deko Harley Benton Jazz bass. £38 shipped. It had a hairline crack in the lacquer on the back of the body, about 2 inches long. £38! It plays better than most basses I've handled sub-£250. It comes well setup out of the box, D'Addarios and Wilkinson pick ups, which sound great for the money too. I'm very fond of it already, and can see me holding on to it. Even at the full price of £120 (?) it'd be worth it :)

• 2 weeks later...