Why become a member? ×

Flood damaged barefaced cab, anything I can do?

Ant

thanks for all the quick and detailed replies guys!!!

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1452025359' post='2945709']
Awful! However, on the plus side as long as you don't play it until it's COMPLETELY DRY it'll almost certainly be absolutely fine.

Take it somewhere warm, safe and dry. Take the grill off. Take the woofers out and put them somewhere safe and well aired. If the insulation/damping is soaked/dirty I'd pull all that out (note where each bit goes), collect up all the staples (they're not much fun to stand on and you don't want them loose in the cab), and hang that up somewhere to dry.

Once everything is bone dry - like not at all damp, like washing that's been in the tumble drier for too long - then vacuum the insulation and inside of the cab and brush any dirt off the cones with a soft brush. Staple/silicone the insulation back in. Re-fit the woofers (make sure their polarity is correct - marked cable to the red terminal) taking care not to push out any t-nuts (use a G-clamp to push them back in if they've come loose), and test the cab before putting the grill back on.

If you try to use the cab whilst the cones are still damp they will fall apart. But as long as you wait for it to dry out it should be sonically as good as it was before its aquatic experience. Worst case scenario there'll be too much corrosion on the motor pole pieces but I think you'd have to have it submerged for years to manage that. I'd put some light oil on all the hardware (not the woofers!) to stop things rusting in the future.
[/quote]

cheers alex, this seems simple enough to follow even for me - ill try this and hope for the best

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1452035157' post='2945865']
You're quite right, they are all powder coated, I'd forgotten!

I'd be surprised if the cab warps when drying out, there's a lot of bracing in there...
[/quote]

Isn't there a danger that the water entered the coil from the vent hole in the back? Is that piece of foam tucked in there thin enough to fliter the dirt?