Why become a member? ×

Just watching new order on BBC red button ( by accident)

The sound is pretty good . The bass sounds good( a Rick , that's not growly/ trebly). I've not seen / heard.much of them - not bad.
The singer sounds out at times .The singer seems a lot older than the rest of the band. They've just been joined by tin tin.( la roux?)
She seems ok .

The singer, keyboard player and drummer are three of the original four members, and are all "old". The bassist and guitarist are youngsters who aren't really part of the "real" New Order, but the five-piece combo they form is now the band, I think.

Barney never could sing, in a very different way to how Ian Curtis couldn't sing. It was part of his charm. Staring dead-eyed (or shut-eyed) with one hand fixed on the mic on the stand, too scared to move (or too off his head), a little boy lost, singing lyrics of apparent nonsense that belied a quiet desperation and ultimate sadness. He also found it hard to play guitar and sing at the same time, which shaped a lot of how their songs were written and arranged.

How Barney acts on stage these days is very embarrassing, but he seems to be enjoying himself. Which is perhaps the problem.

It all went downhill after Brotherhood, really.

It was a bit like watching my old man dad dancing whilst trying to sing along with a song he doesn't know.
I thought it was awful.

And tin tin looked a tad embarrassed to be there.

I wouldn't normally slate someone else's performance - due to my own lack of talent - but there's a time a give it a rest.

New Order with no Hooky is just not cricket. Saying that, if the new bass playing lad had had his instrument strapped round his knees, y'all would've been ragging on him instead of Barney enjoying himself. Pioneers nonetheless. 😉