Why become a member? ×

Bass Lessons Wanted.. Glasgow

BeeBop

Hi

As the title would suggest i am looking to take my playing further

Looking for a good teacher in the Glasgow area

Looking for someone who is willing to give the first lesson for free thus allowing me some scope to find someone best suited to my needs .. (this would be normal i think?)

I do have one number to call but looking to put a few more irons in the fire

styles hmm if its good its good ...more on a funk vibe ...but i also like blues,jazz,Dub,Electronic (EH!)...the list is truly non exhaustive....also they dont have to fit into any category just someone who knows their onions ....

any replies much appreciated ...email address or contact phone number ..

my playing standard is fairly basic but i do have some qualities not sure what those are ...its not for me to say..

Lets say i am enthusiastic have a desire to learn and improve

cheers for any replies.. suggestions

I've found that this is the case with a number of tutors. I've been trying to find a decent vocal teacher but no one has got back to me.

I have absolutely no idea how I know what I do or how to transfer it to someone else or I would've gone down that path years ago as I am completely self taught and just played along to everything when I was young. There are no decent bass teachers in my area that I know of that aren't just guitarists who think that bass is an easy version of guitar and therefore easy to teach.

A few years ago I had some lessons from Jennifer Clark and she really helped me out. She was right in Glasgow city centre.

http://www.jenclarkmusic.com

She occasionally posts on here - her username is Endorka.

I notice her website no longer mentions tuition but if she's no longer teaching I bet she can recommend someone.

Do a search at Musicteachers.co.uk. I just found at least 25 bass guitar teachers within 15 miles of Glasgow Central Station. They may not be members here, but you can try several until you find one you like.

That site can also be used for Edingburgh and vocals too (at least 20 in Glasgow again)

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1451807180' post='2943500']
A few years ago I had some lessons from Jennifer Clark and she really helped me out. She was right in Glasgow city centre.

[url="http://www.jenclarkmusic.com"]http://www.jenclarkmusic.com[/url]

I notice her website no longer mentions tuition but if she's no longer teaching I bet she can recommend someone.
[/quote]

nice website and material there

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1451807180' post='2943500']

[url="http://www.jenclarkmusic.com"]http://www.jenclarkmusic.com[/url]

[/quote]

I haven't quite got round to having lessons yet, but I do recall having Jen Clark's name on the top of my list when I was looking at bass tuition in the Glasgow area.

Aside from the endorsements from fellow musicians her website presents her work in a very professional manner, and I believe that first impressions count.

Just out of interest - what should one expect to pay per lesson from a very good tutor and how long would the lessons be?

Edited by DavidMcKay

[quote name='DavidMcKay' timestamp='1451836797' post='2943839']
I haven't quite got round to having lessons yet, but I do recall having Jen Clark's name on the top of my list when I was looking at bass tuition in the Glasgow area.

Aside from the endorsements from fellow musicians her website presents her work in a very professional manner, and I believe that first impressions count.

Just out of interest - what should one expect to pay per lesson from a very good tutor and how long would the lessons be?
[/quote]

I pay my current tutor £ 20 per 45 minutes but the best guy I had, who was not only a full time pro but truly inspirational as a tutor was £ 40 per hour. Sadly our timings did not work out. Typically I would expect around £ 20-£30 per hour

Hi

Thanks for all the responses .. i will try my one number i have it came from a reputable source ...Charlie at Southside Music (wee plug for this true Gentleman ... his shop is legend)

If this works out and if they are willing i will post the details for future students ..
If i feel its not for me then i will contact Jennifer.. as mentioned if she is not giving lessons i am sure she will be in the know as to what is on offer

I did look through the Musicteachers .co.uk ... i didnt find one person who was solely teaching Bass ...most were multi instrumentalists offering everything from tri angle to Oboe ... lots of Guitar\Bass and lots of kids just passed their HND in whatever ... i have my reservations about making contact for reasons mentioned ...
Onwards and upwards i will find what i am looking for ...if anyone else wishes to through something into the mix then please do ...as the saying goes no idea is a bit idea and all leads posted will be followed up ...
Cheers once again and if your going back to work this week ...take it easy dont work too hard ...toodle pip

Hi folks,

I thought I would pop a quick post in here to suggest you check out Mark from Talking-Bass.net. I've been having lessons with him for the past couple of months and I'd really recommend him for the following reasons:

(1) He is a fantastic bass player and musician - just check out some of his YouTube videos.
(2) He charges £25/hour which is a very reasonable price for the lessons.
(3) He is also a great [b]teacher [/b]and is very good at explaining complex ideas in ways that make them easy to grasp and remember.
(4) The lessons are supported by a vast catalog of free online video lessons he has done.

The lessons are via Skype which worried me a little before I tried them however I can happily say now that it has not been an issue at all. In fact, before I went to Mark I tried four local tutors all of whom were good in their own way, but Mark is by far the best [b]teacher [/b]out of everyone I have tried. He is very well organised, remembers what we were doing previously and has a clear idea of where to direct each lesson. So far, every time I have a lesson with him I come away feeling that I have really learned something new be it a bit of technique, theory or some other aspect of playing.

Here is an example of one of Mark's online lessons to give you some idea of his teaching style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvetqZBespk

Hi

Thanks for your suggestion ... i have seen this guy before ...he s good
however there is a wealth of really good stuff to be had for free on the old wonder web

Scott Devine is a top man as is the German dude way the affy nice bass collection (he s probably no German but when i first heard his accent it sounded very much German to me ...hes probably Dutch or Belgian or Swiss or the likes..pretty sure hes no Indian ...need to look that up)

I was hoping for the old fashioned styled lessons ....think its a more sense of occasion...slightly more personal ...
i appreciated your post and i know there are more and more folks going down this route ... Cheers

nice dog by the way ..hes a happy Chappy or Chapess also liking Bob the Dog and Davids wee freakster is too cool for school .. OH and the cat thats interests are Meeces ...quality ...

any other leads.. mucho thanko amigos ..(the old spanish is getting better)

oooooft the dude who is defo no Indian is Thomas Risell and turns out he is Danish
goes by the name of MarloweDK
apologies for the German tag ..no one likes to be known from a country they are not actually from
ons should never assume ...it always makes an ass(oot a ) u (and) me