Why become a member? ×

So, i finally tried a Bongo...

Kev

yep, went to Reverb in bristol today and spotted a bongo HH 4 strings hanging on the wall, so i was finally able to try one. after discussing with the prick member of staff as to whether i could try it or not ("its an expensive bass for me to take down unless your gunna buy it...." wtf!) i was able to play it.

Well, i was impressed to say the least. iv not played a 4 string in a while, but i adjusted pretty quickly. the feel of the neck and the bass in general was lovely, the neck wasnt at all sticky despite being painted, and the action was pretty much exactly the same as on my stingray. as predicted, the HH model wouldnt be the one i went for, as it completly hindered my slap technique, and it literally wasnt possible for me to slap fast on it. however the flexibility the 2 pickups give is superb, the bass has a great jazz tone with the bridge solo'd, but i mainly kept the balance in the middle. the preamp is probably the best iv ever used, massivly versitile, all kinds of tones were coming out of it, although i admit that my favourite sound was with everything flat. my opinion of the bass has changed quite a lot, and actually i found it not [i]thattttt[/i] ugly. the 4 string HH version is not for me, but im now very eager to try out a 5 string H model and see if i still like it as much. ah well, i managed to stay GAS free for a couple of months anyways..... :)

Edited by BassManKev

I saw it in there the other day as well Kev, I was tempted to try one again but I thought I'd try a mex Reissue Jazz, the black one with block inlays, and it was f**cking awful, dare I say it, the USA P Bass my friend was banging out Blink 182 songs on sounded alot better, and played better, I still wouldn't have on if it were thrown at me. Compared to when I last went there, bass wise it was packed with all of them, and now all there is is a wall of Musicmans and a bigger wall of Fenders, and then a left handed Corvette FNA and a left handed Spector rebop, and some odd ones on the 2 pillars.

Edited by Josh

they have a nice little selection of musicmans, from what i remember they had the bongo HH, stingray 2eq, stingray 3eq, stingray 5 H, stingray 4 HH. i tried the 3eq stingray about a month back, the red/black one, and it was sh*te tbh, although it could have been the ashdown amp...

i dont remember soundcontrol ever having lots of different types, although they did have a few warwicks and spectors

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='BassManKev' post='284263' date='Sep 15 2008, 02:29 PM']they have a nice little selection of musicmans, from what i remember they had the bongo HH, stingray 2eq, stingray 3eq, stingray 5 H, stingray 4 HH. i tried the 3eq stingray about a month back, the red/black one, and it was sh*te tbh, although it could have been the ashdown amp...

i dont remember soundcontrol ever having lots of different types, although they did have a few warwicks and spectors[/quote]

Well I was quite dissapointed with the selection so thats why I thought "Ahhh f**k it, I'll try that jazz", and for the price it's going at I would sincerely tell anybody to avoid it. Bad thing is, the Musicmans always look they should sound good but look lifeless, unfrotunatley from trying them they sound as dull as they look, that was quite a let down.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='284392' date='Sep 15 2008, 05:36 PM']Great basses to play - sadly awful looks. If they could get the feel and sound into a more traditional shape, it would be a winner.[/quote]
yup, without doubt

I tried a bongo 4HH at reverb in leicester a couple of months ago, and the neck really surprised me, very smooth and very fast :) Also sounded really nice, and the neck pickup didn't really hinder my slap technique too much either. I'd love one, one day. It looked better in real life, but the colour it was in was pretty hideous. Ah well, i'd love one in desert gold :huh:

• 4 months later...

[quote name='BassManKev' post='284243' date='Sep 15 2008, 01:06 PM']yep, went to Reverb in bristol today and spotted a bongo HH 4 strings hanging on the wall, so i was finally able to try one. after discussing with the prick member of staff as to whether i could try it or not ("its an expensive bass for me to take down unless your gunna buy it...." wtf!) i was able to play it.

Well, i was impressed to say the least. iv not played a 4 string in a while, but i adjusted pretty quickly. the feel of the neck and the bass in general was lovely, the neck wasnt at all sticky despite being painted, and the action was pretty much exactly the same as on my stingray. as predicted, the HH model wouldnt be the one i went for, as it completly hindered my slap technique, and it literally wasnt possible for me to slap fast on it. however the flexibility the 2 pickups give is superb, the bass has a great jazz tone with the bridge solo'd, but i mainly kept the balance in the middle. the preamp is probably the best iv ever used, massivly versitile, all kinds of tones were coming out of it, although i admit that my favourite sound was with everything flat. my opinion of the bass has changed quite a lot, and actually i found it not [i]thattttt[/i] ugly. the 4 string HH version is not for me, but im now very eager to try out a 5 string H model and see if i still like it as much. ah well, i managed to stay GAS free for a couple of months anyways..... ;)[/quote]

I've just bought it for £999 as a stop gap before i decide on my next bass!!

Cheers

Matt

[quote name='Josh' post='392959' date='Jan 27 2009, 05:41 PM']Are you moving on from Status Basses then Matt?[/quote]

Not too sure yet mate...VERY tempted to get a Jaydee 'starchild' bass....depends if i can sell the retroglide...basses dont seem to be shifting much at the moment.

I don't care how great it sounds-I still think it's one of the most hideous things ever to have four (or five, or for that matter any amount of) strings. The body looks like a bog seat and the headstock looks like Peppa Pig (those with kids will understand). Apologies to Bongo lovers-but then us Precision lovers have to take enough insults!

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='392980' date='Jan 27 2009, 05:52 PM']I don't care how great it sounds-I still think it's one of the most hideous things ever to have four (or five, or for that matter any amount of) strings. The body looks like a bog seat and the headstock looks like Peppa Pig (those with kids will understand). Apologies to Bongo lovers-but then us Precision lovers have to take enough insults![/quote]

Fair enough mate, it was a good deal price wise, and a stop gap. Im used to a Status Kingbass..so its feels big...but i was strangely taken by it. Lets see what its like live!

[quote name='Matt42uk' post='392985' date='Jan 27 2009, 05:56 PM']Fair enough mate, it was a good deal price wise, and a stop gap. Im used to a Status Kingbass..so its feels big...but i was strangely taken by it. Lets see what its like live![/quote]

Sorry Matt, was probably a tad excessive in my condemnation there-wasn't meaning to slag your bass-if it suits you that's all that matters. They don't do it for me, but vive la difference, eh?