Why become a member? ×

LOW PASS FILTERS? Suggestions please.

Greg.Bassman

Hi all.

Ok so, I'm shopping for a Low pass filter (in the form of a stompbox).

I have recently contacted Taylor at Iron Ether regarding a custom xerograph; with an expression (pedal) input for BOTH resonance and frequency (cut off). Sadly, he no longer offers custom jobs anymore.

To my mind, the only company that offers such, is Moog with the MF-101; my complaint with this though, is that it's not true bypass, not to mention expensive! (unless you can convince me otherwise).

Suggestions please? Cheers.Greg.

Source Audio Manta? You can map the expression pedal to any knob (I think, hopefully a user or the manual can confirm). Not sure if you want to have two separate expression pedals, or one pedal operating both knobs simultaneously, but I wouldn't be surprised if both of these were possible with the Manta plus the MIDI hub.

Plus you get an awesome envelope filter and distortion unit thrown in for the price of entry.

Edited by dannybuoy

The Moog is the only commercial one, other then the Dreadbox offering, but there is little report as to how that performs as yet. The Moog IS NOT expensive. I'd expect it to be cheaper than any custom offering. I had a custom Xero and it will set you back much more than a stock one obviously. Tom at COG will likely be able to cook up a killer custom LPF, but again, if you think the Moog is expensive, you may be put off.

As for true bypass... So? Why do you need it? The Moog has an always active drive section so couldn't be true bypass. It's designed to always add that analogue warmth and grit to your tone. I love the moog, it's immense. Adding TB would ruin it!

Many of the Sansamp pedals feature a low pass filter - sometimes called that, sometimes 'Rumble filter' and on the VT Bass DI, it's part of the 'Bite' function.

Also the Radial Bassbone pedals have this feature. I think as an adjustable high pass filter.

Worth checking out as you'd also get their DI, distortion and other features.

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1450027158' post='2928889']
Many of the Sansamp pedals feature a low pass filter - sometimes called that, sometimes 'Rumble filter' and on the VT Bass DI, it's part of the 'Bite' function.

Also the Radial Bassbone pedals have this feature. I think as an adjustable high pass filter.

Worth checking out as you'd also get their DI, distortion and other features.
[/quote]

Totally different filters - the OP is after a sweepable low pass filter to make wah-wah and womp-womp noises rather than a high pass filter designed to cut out subsonic rumble. However, something like a Thumpinator might be worth putting after the filter (as well as a limiter maybe) if you are doing some crazy resonant sweeps down low!

[quote name='Greg.Bassman' timestamp='1449834321' post='2927285']
To my mind, the only company that offers such, is Moog with the MF-101; my complaint with this though, is that it's not true bypass, not to mention expensive! (unless you can convince me otherwise).

Suggestions please? Cheers.Greg.
[/quote]

dv247 seem to have some for £168, that' s rather less than usual isn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1450426206' post='2932588']
Totally different filters - the OP is after a sweepable low pass filter to make wah-wah and womp-womp noises rather than a high pass filter designed to cut out subsonic rumble. However, something like a Thumpinator might be worth putting after the filter (as well as a limiter maybe) if you are doing some crazy resonant sweeps down low!
[/quote]

:blush: Sorry I got my filters the wrong way round.

Has anyone mentioned the 3leaf Wonderlove v2? Can do LPF and BPF controlled by either envelop (up and down sweep) or an expression pedal.

Got mine just a week ago. It has some very nice tones and a lot of options but takes a while to understand how to dial in correctly. Still learning mine.

Edited by ProfFrink