Why become a member? ×

NBF - American Vintage '63 Precision

JapanAxe

NBF? New Bass Fortnight!

It's all very well reviewing a bass the day you get it, but the proof of the pudding is getting out there and playing it with other people, so this post comes 2 weeks after purchase.

I had been on the hunt for another Precision for a couple of weeks (see [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/216528-what-have-you-got-gas-for-at-the-mo/page__view__findpost__p__2907369"]here[/url]), and one of the basses I had tried was an AVRI '63 in Wunjo. They got another one in stock, so I toddled along there, tried it, and bought it it (nice deal Tom - cheers!)

If I'm honest, I probably wasn't as rigorous with myself as I could have been as to whether it was what I really wanted - I had worked out that some kind of RI was the way to go, and this one did the business.

As a result, I suffered massive buyer's remorse over the ensuing few days. The first thing I did when I got the bass home was to fit a set of Chromes. I initially set the action very low, then took it back up a bit to allow the strings to vibrate freely.

This is one incredibly bright bass, and initially there seemed to be a lot more 'boing' to the sound than I usually like. I worried that I should have gone for something with more 'mojo'.

However, all this evaporated when I got a call to dep with a pub covers band I used to play with. On the gig, the bass sounded monstrous. I got so much top playing fingerstyle with the tone fully open that I never broke out the pick all night, and it punched through like a very punchy thing. The neck is a fair bit wider and shallower than on my '73, but it sort of disappears under your fingers when playing.

I also took it to a soul band audition and got the gig. I'd like to think it was my playing that did the trick, but having a clear, round, punchy sound did me no harm at all.

Just to prove it really happened, here's a blurry pic and a live shot (with audience member/victim on drums):

[quote name='luckman67' timestamp='1449438814' post='2923603']
Nice looking bass I like the period style case candy. you get with the AVRI basses B)
[/quote]

That's all gone in the loft along with the ash-trays - I use a Fender/SKB case for gigs!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1449958579' post='2928437']
Got to love sonic with mint guard. Chromes are about the brightest possible flats you can buy, though. :)
[/quote]

The Chromes have calmed down a bit now. In the meantime I have bought a nearly-new set of La Bellas from a fellow BC-er, so may give them a try.

Chromes on my '73 sound nowhere near as bright - the two basses have very different voices, love 'em both!

Happy NBF!

I got a 62 reissue a while back and have been happier than a very happy thing with it, especially since I put some D'Addario Ground Round Wound or is it Half Round strings on it.

Incredible amount of punch.

However I played on a large hollow wooden stage last night and forgot my Auralex anti vibration mat thingy. bt of a disaster until I rolled a ton of bass of on the amp, which I have never had to do bfore.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1449436531' post='2923567']
NBF? New Bass Fortnight!

It's all very well reviewing a bass the day you get it, but the proof of the pudding is getting out there and playing it with other people, so this post comes 2 weeks after purchase.

I had been on the hunt for another Precision for a couple of weeks (see [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/216528-what-have-you-got-gas-for-at-the-mo/page__view__findpost__p__2907369"]here[/url]), and one of the basses I had tried was an AVRI '63 in Wunjo. They got another one in stock, so I toddled along there, tried it, and bought it it (nice deal Tom - cheers!)

If I'm honest, I probably wasn't as rigorous with myself as I could have been as to whether it was what I really wanted - I had worked out that some kind of RI was the way to go, and this one did the business.

As a result, I suffered massive buyer's remorse over the ensuing few days. The first thing I did when I got the bass home was to fit a set of Chromes. I initially set the action very low, then took it back up a bit to allow the strings to vibrate freely.

This is one incredibly bright bass, and initially there seemed to be a lot more 'boing' to the sound than I usually like. I worried that I should have gone for something with more 'mojo'.

However, all this evaporated when I got a call to dep with a pub covers band I used to play with. On the gig, the bass sounded monstrous. I got so much top playing fingerstyle with the tone fully open that I never broke out the pick all night, and it punched through like a very punchy thing. The neck is a fair bit wider and shallower than on my '73, but it sort of disappears under your fingers when playing.

I also took it to a soul band audition and got the gig. I'd like to think it was my playing that did the trick, but having a clear, round, punchy sound did me no harm at all.

Just to prove it really happened, here's a blurry pic and a live shot (with audience member/victim on drums):

[/quote]

I love the faded Sonic on these '63s. If I could find a couple of cans in that shade, I'd refin my own bass with it.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1449753210' post='2926494']

Off you go to the Custom Shop then!
[/quote]

You mean these can be ordered in different colours,I had no idea. By the way..how much harder is it to play that wider neck than the 70's width.

Edited by ians

[quote name='ians' timestamp='1450430255' post='2932638']
You mean these can be ordered in different colours,I had no idea. By the way..how much harder is it to play that wider neck than the 70's width.
[/quote]

Fender have some kind of special-order facility, but iirc it got some stick on here for being crap. What I had in mind is the one-offs and dealer special orders that come up now and then - for example, I have a CS '59 'transition' Strat that was made to the spec of the shop owner's original '59.

As regards neck width - it is no harder to play, just different to what I had become used to. I think it would only pose a problem if you had poor technique, e.g. hooking the thumb of your fretting hand over the top of the neck.