Why become a member? ×

Cheyenne vs 4003

The-Ox

I never used to like the 4004's, but they are growing on me of late, I do wish they'd make one with the triangle inlays and 2 volume/1-2 tone pots though.

Personally, I'd buy a 4003 over a 4004, because they have that "classic" look, where the 4004 is a modern take on a classic design. Plus the fact that 4004's are a fair bit more expensive than a 4003 too, though they are a lot more "exclusive" because of it.

Guess I'll stick with my 'Fakers... :D

yeah I kinda agree with you! In terms of how they sound, would the 4004s be a lot warmer, compared to a more rock n roll 4003?

yep gotta love a top notch Faker! I saw a great on on eBay the other day for sale at £250, it was due to expire at 9pm last night, I was in the middle of rehearsals so couldn't bid. But one guy bit at 8.59.27 £342 and then someone bid at 8:59:57 £354, was incredible stuff!

The question should really be "4004 vs. 4003" - the 4004 has two variants, the Cheyenne and the Laredo. Laredos are maple, whereas the Cheyenne is maple and walnut (I believe), and tends to have a nice top wood. Laredos have solid colour finishes.
I've not compared the two but the Laredo is said to be slightly brighter - however, as stock both basses are on the dark side, and don't have much of the trebly clank you would expect from a Rick. However this is easily fixed - for some reason Rickenbacker see fit to install 330k pots which combined with the humbuckers give that dark sound - swapping them for 500k brings them to life a bit.
I used to own a Cheyenne very briefly but the neck was very cluby and cumbersome. Modern ones have the same neck profile as the 4003 which is good news! I would love a Laredo but in all honesty I would probably swap the pickups for single coils, thereby having the modern comfortable Rick bpdy but with the classic tone.

Thanks Ben you've answered my real question without me actually posting it! Kudos. I am much more of a trebly player and I had a hunch the humbuckers would produce a darker sound. I'd probably prefer the single coils too, I'm just curious why the cheyenne is more! Would you have to use Rick pots or can you use any pots? I can imagine rick charging a fortune for parts

I thought the Laredo & Cheyenne's both had Walnut in the body, the Cheyenne has a Maple/Walnut/Maple sandwich, where the Laredo has a cap Maple over Walnut.

didn't realse this until recently when I was looking at 4004's on eBay. Rickenbacker helpfully list the 4004L as having a "Hardwood" body, where the Cheyenne is listed as Maple & Walnut. No pictures etc

Cheyenne:

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1449237910' post='2921853']
Thanks Ben you've answered my real question without me actually posting it! Kudos. I am much more of a trebly player and I had a hunch the humbuckers would produce a darker sound. I'd probably prefer the single coils too, I'm just curious why the cheyenne is more! Would you have to use Rick pots or can you use any pots? I can imagine rick charging a fortune for parts
[/quote]

To the best of my knowledge, any pots. A relatively quick and cheap fix if you're handy with a soldering iron. For some reason RIC use 330 pots in all their guitars and basses even though they are often not the most suitable.

Interesting bass, the 4004. It fixes all the problems people have with the classic Ricks - uncomfortable body, noisy pickups, upsetting holes in the body, 'unique' bridge - but they remain very much a curio, and rarely seen. I think they are beautiful and I would love another one - with different pickups ;)

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1449236794' post='2921842']in all honesty I would probably swap the pickups for single coils, thereby having the modern comfortable Rick body but with the classic tone.
[/quote]Or just buy a 4003s :)

I've owned both a Laredo and Cheyenne (ii) 4004 at various times.

As said above, I can concur that the Laredo is the brighter sounding of the 2.

Nice basses, but I am one of those weird players that actually likes a non-curved body shape. I like a bass I have to grapple with! :D

I would personally say that anyone used to a 'modern' bass would probably prefer a 4004. Saying that, it's a 20+ year old design now....but still a 'modern' Ric, and quite a modern bass.

They are easier to play, they do IMHO have a stronger output....there are many benefits. In a modern band setting, they are a corking bass that 2nd hand, you can usually get quite reasonably as they are still a bit of an anomaly.

Paul Weller's bassist plays a 4004, Lemmy's sig bass is a 4004(LK)....there's plenty to love about these basses...I'm glad I tried them....mine were very light as well! :lol:

With the 4004, you get contoured body, no nasty pickup cover/razor sharp surround & what many would consider a superior bridge (although I've never had a problem with the 4001/3 bridge).

I bought mine (Cheyenne) from a fellow BCer, in perfect condition. It's a maple top with the most beautiful wood. It does have a darker yet more 'modern' sound than a 4001/3. However, with the way I play, I can still get the sound I desire with a slight EQ tweak. It does seem lighter than my other Rickenbackers. It's a beautiful bass that I've used on several recordings, although strangely I don't use it live very often - I don't know why.

It's a bass that addresses many of the perceived 'issues' that some people had with the 4001/3, yet it doesn't seem to have ever become that popular. I'd say anyone who is interested in Ricks should try one.

I think that the 4004 would be a lot more popular if it wasn't so darned expensive. I'm a Ric player (4003) but you can get a heck of a lot of bass for that kind of money from other manufacturers. I'd love to try a 4004 but they are kind of hen's teeth, and I very much doubt I'll ever see one in the flesh let alone own one

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1449399473' post='2923116']
I think that the 4004 would be a lot more popular if it wasn't so darned expensive. I'm a Ric player (4003) but you can get a heck of a lot of bass for that kind of money from other manufacturers. I'd love to try a 4004 but they are kind of hen's teeth, and I very much doubt I'll ever see one in the flesh let alone own one
[/quote]

Guitar Guitar seem to have a few, if there's one near you...

• 2 months later...

Here is my Cheyenne II give you an idea of tone. [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAb7MB84Drk"]https://www.youtube....h?v=QAb7MB84Dr[/url]
and my 4003 to compare https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQjNr7P5SEI

Edited by geofio