Why become a member? ×

Fender JV (not squire JV) 1982 Non-Export Precision Bass in rare Candy Apple Red (TRADES and SALE)
£1200

Mattybob7

[b]For Sale or Trade: FENDER JV PRECISION BASS FROM 1982 IN CANDY APPLE RED-[/b]

[attachment=206509:IMG_1478.JPG]
[attachment=206510:IMG_1479.JPG]
[attachment=206513:IMG_1481.JPG]
[attachment=206514:IMG_1482.JPG]
[attachment=206512:IMG_1480.JPG]
[attachment=206516:IMG_1483.JPG]
[attachment=206517:IMG_1484.JPG]
[attachment=206518:IMG_1486.JPG]
[attachment=206519:IMG_1487.JPG]
[attachment=206521:IMG_1488.JPG]
[attachment=206522:IMG_1489.JPG]
[attachment=206523:IMG_1490.JPG]
[attachment=206524:IMG_1491.JPG]

Trade Value: £1300
Sale Value: £1200 ONO

Trades: I'm looking for a nice fretless bass, but I'm open to others.

This bass is incredible. I've seen many Squire JVs on here for sale, and while they are incredible instruments this Fender JV is a big step up. It's rare you see Fender JVs outside of Japan as they weren't made for the international market as they far surpassed the quality of American made Fender at the time, and this still holds true today. It's up there with CS quality of build. They are also very hard to find and I've only seen a couple Fender JVs on here, so don't miss out!

These instruments were made in the famous Fujigen factory in Japan using original pre CBS blueprints to recreate the look, feel, and sound of easily the best period in Fender history. They did this with outstanding detail, down to the rope coated wiring for the pots, using the exact specs of a 1962 precision bass (apart from the paint finish which is Eurethane, not Nitro). If you want to learn more about Fender JV then give it a quick google search, you'll find a lot about the Squire JVs which are incredible instruments, but nothing compares to the Fender JVs, so look for information on Fender JV. Also this finish is very rare in Fender JVs and I haven't seen another one like it in this condition.

This is actually one of my favourite basses I've ever owned, the neck feels like a pre CBS neck (I've compared it to my friend's '63 and it's outstandingly close) and the rosewood is beautiful and dark, the playability is incredible, it's light, and the tone is unbeatable. I may withdraw it at anytime as it sure is a bass I would like to keep forever, but I really am looking to invest in a good fretless bass.

The condition is very good considering it's a 33 year old instrument and it's travelled around half the world. There are a few subtle dinks as you would expect, there is also a chip in the paint (not in the wood) that is pictured below. The neck itself is almost untouched, and is in very good condition. It's strung with LaBella flats and it has been since I've owned it, you can't beat a P with flats in my opinion.The machine heads are starting to age nicely and they look amazing. Everything works perfectly and I have never had any issues with it at all. The only issue I've had is I've neglected my '69 P due to this bass being on par playability wise and the fact it's tone is outstanding. But you can decide if that's an issue or not...

See the photos below, and I'm happy to take more on request.

Based in North West London, happy to meet for trying it out etc.

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1449414980' post='2923313']
Has the smalll 'Squier series' logo (usually further up on the headstock) been removed or wasn't this present on very early JVs?
[/quote]

Hi , this is not a Squire but a FENDER JV that has nothing to do with the Squire Range. They were done for Japan only .... while Squire JV were the export line...

that's why there's no "squire" ... and not supposed to be one.

Found a website with a pretty detailed history on JV instruments, however it is quite heavily Squier JV based stuff. But there are some things on Fender JV. (see below)

[color=#E7E7E7]"The very first guitars were produced for the Japanese home market; These were 'Fender' JV models, but due to pressure from overseas (Europe in particular) for an export range, it was decided that Fender Japan would export some cost effective models under the Fender 'Squier series' name (neck dates and serial numbers show that these Squier series guitars were produced around two weeks after the first Fender JV's, (approx middle of April 1982) but would not find their way into UK shops until June or July of the same year)." ([/color]http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/index.htm)

You might just want to read this article:- http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/jvarticles.htm Your Squier may indeed be a very very early one which made its way to these shores, but if it carries the JV name, a Squier it is.... bottom of page 112:-

"Following Fender's failure to stem the Tokai tide, the company adopted a 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em' policy and set up Fender Japan early in 1982. Courtesy of the Matsumoto-based Fujigen factory, the first 'official' Fender copies appeared in the UK later that same year .These were marketed under the 'Squier' brand, borrowed from the VC Squier string company acquired by Fender back in the mid-'60's. The initial imports bore no indication of this now-familiar name, just a vintage-style Fender logo, and the next selection carried merely a small mention; but soon a vintage-style Squier logo assumed it's rightful prominent position on the headstock, partnered by a small 'By Fender' decal underneath."

This may be being a little picky, but hey, they get a lot of love here. I have a 1982 big Fender small Squier "57 precision which, if you wanted it, you'd need to prise from my cold dead hands, and I also used to have a salmon pink '62 (big Squier) JV, which was every bit as good, but I stupidly sold it for peanuts to help fund my first Wal purchase in 1985. If this is one of the earliest JV's then it will almost certainly be as good as my '57, so the best of luck with your sale!

Edited by MoJoKe

This is infact a Fender JV, not one of the early squires with a Fender big logo. Fender Japan made Fender JV models for domestic (Japan only) market. These weren't shipped anywhere else as they surpassed the USA built Fenders at the time, and were only intended to be sold in Japan. This why the 'Squier' models were shipped to Europe, as a slightly more budget version of the domestic Fender JVs being sold in Japan and were branded with the 'Squier' logo to differentiate from the Fender brand.

Pierre knows his stuff on this, so please correct me if I'm wrong

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1450227231' post='2930833']
You might just want to read this article:- [url="http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/jvarticles.htm"]http://www.21frets.c.../jvarticles.htm[/url] Your Squier may indeed be a very very early one which made its way to these shores, but if it carries the JV name, a Squier it is.... bottom of page 112:-

"Following Fender's failure to stem the Tokai tide, the company adopted a 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em' policy and set up Fender Japan early in 1982. Courtesy of the Matsumoto-based Fujigen factory, the first 'official' Fender copies appeared in the UK later that same year .These were marketed under the 'Squier' brand, borrowed from the VC Squier string company acquired by Fender back in the mid-'60's. The initial imports bore no indication of this now-familiar name, just a vintage-style Fender logo, and the next selection carried merely a small mention; but soon a vintage-style Squier logo assumed it's rightful prominent position on the headstock, partnered by a small 'By Fender' decal underneath."

This may be being a little picky, but hey, they get a lot of love here. I have a 1982 big Fender small Squier "57 precision which, if you wanted it, you'd need to prise from my cold dead hands, and I also used to have a salmon pink '62 (big Squier) JV, which was every bit as good, but I stupidly sold it for peanuts to help fund my first Wal purchase in 1985. If this is one of the earliest JV's then it will almost certainly be as good as my '57, so the best of luck with your sale!
[/quote]

Hi Mojoke (and Matt...)

This is not a Squire whatsoever. I confirm this is a Fender JV which were indeed built for Domestic (understand Japanese) Market ONLY not made for export. They were actually done before the Squire line to the exact pre CBS blueprints (with Japanese standards not with the USA "meeeeeh close enough" one). Under Fender USA's pressure which needed an export line the Squire were then released ... As far as I remember the 1st squire's left Japan about May of 82 (I don't know exactly but some of the very very 1st exports had indeed the tiny squire Logo)

The Fender JV range had a whole lot of different models and higher or lower model. Some of them with Nitro finish , with USA parts and pickups. For example the Fender JV PB57-95 is a 57 reissue but with CTS pots and Nitro Finish. The Fender JV JB62-115 had CTS pots and Nitro finish too ... or Fender JV OPB54-75 with Nitro and USA parts.

I will attach a few pictures (Matt you tell me if its a prob) of for example the OPB54 ... it doesn't have a Squire Logo and I challenge anybody to find it on squire Catalogs or even to find one in europe for that matter. Still its a JV instrument.... FENDER JV

Maybe I should add that both line were made from 82 to 84 , the Domestic line stopped a bit earlier.

Edited by pierreganseman

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1450336624' post='2931729']
Hi Mojoke (and Matt...)

This is not a Squire whatsoever. I confirm this is a Fender JV which were indeed built for Domestic (understand Japanese) Market ONLY not made for export.
The Fender JV range had a whole lot of different models and higher or lower model. Some of them with Nitro finish , with USA parts and pickups. For example the Fender JV PB57-95 is a 57 reissue but with CTS pots and Nitro Finish. The Fender JV JB62-115 had CTS pots and Nitro finish too ... or Fender JV OPB54-75 with Nitro and USA parts.
[/quote]

Yes the Japanese domestic line had several different specs all commanding different price points, the JV-115 the highest spec and most expensive (115,00 yen).

The JV-65 is supposed to be the closest in spec to the Squier export stuff, with the poly finish, etc.

All according to Google and 21 frets of course.

Which model is this?

Just to confirm what has been said already, this isn't a Fender 'Squier' export series, the Fender logo'd exports, being very early examples, would have JV0*** serial numbers.

Edited by cameltoe

The word inferior has been used a few times to differentiate this from the Squier JV. Important thing to establish is how does the construction of this particular model bass differ from the Squier to make it superior? :)

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1450339349' post='2931743']
S-Q-U-I-E-R....

Dagnabbit, if we're talking about the minutiae of this name, SPELL IT CORRECTLY!

;)
Sorry for shouting!
[/quote]

I Did...!!

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1450445758' post='2932915']
The word inferior has been used a few times to differentiate this from the Squier JV. Important thing to establish is how does the construction of this particular model bass differ from the Squier to make it superior? :)
[/quote]

(....when referring to this Fender JV which isn't a Squier, but made in the Squier factory and apparently [i]far[/i] superior to my own JV!)

So, is this in fact a 1982 MIJ Precision? If anyone buys this down Devon/Somerset way, perhaps we could A/B them and put this argument to an end!

Right, I for one will stop hijacking this poor guy's sale thread. It's almost certainly a nice bass, whatever it is or isn't called, and its saved Mattybob needing to bump it!

This is a FENDER JV 1982 ! nothing similar with a MIJ or a CIJ!

This being a candy red bass is a PB62-75 (i got the same in LPB)

"superior" or "inferior" is pointless as completely subjective... Fender JV had a lot of options and instruments totally UNAVAILABLE to Squire / Export range

But i've already said all this

[/quote]It all gets a bit confusing doesn't it. More contemporary Fender Japan stuff the domestic market stuff is more highly regarded than the Export market stuff.
Early JV stuff the consensus you'll find on sites like 21frets is that the Export Squier stuff is more highly regarded than the domestic market stuff. BUT of course some of the domestic stuff would be better than the export Squiers - so that would be better constructed. But because of the rarity and collectorabily of the export JV Squiers, especially the early ones like the big fender logo "squier series" the "better bass" might worth less....
Probably they all came off the same production line with the same parts and just different finishes available domestically.... but who knows?
Looks like a lovely bass, With the threads on the tuners and the relatively high serial I'm thinking it would be made at very end of 1982?

[/quote]

Any response from the OP?

Genuine interest here, but I would just like the big step up explained to me, as I figured these came from the same production line as a Squier Jv, just badged differently. Does this have higher quality woods? Pickups? Different profile?

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1450649244' post='2934648']

Any response from the OP?

Genuine interest here, but I would just like the big step up explained to me, as I figured these came from the same production line as a Squier Jv, just badged differently. Does this have higher quality woods? Pickups? Different profile?
[/quote]

According to 21 frets, the Strat versions of the 115 and 95 came with a Nitro finish and U.S. Pickups.

The 65 is supposed to be the same spec as the Squier exports.

I'm not sure on the 75 though, and how the spec might differ for basses.

Hard to find definitive info but 21 frets seems to have a good rep for accuracy?