Why become a member? ×

Beatles 1 New Mixes

Hobbayne

Just got myself the bluray and CD edition of this, and am very surprised at the sound quality of the new mixes done by original producer George Martins son, Giles. I can actually hear the hi hat and clear crisp toms for the first time.
Also the stereo is much more balanced. None of that vocals on the left instruments on the right nonsense!
I realise that you shouldnt muck about too much with classic recordings, but wow!
Casual listeners shouldnt notice too much difference, but I have been pleasantly surprised. :)

Why Oh Why do they do this remix cobblers?
Another great money making scheme - let's milk the cash cow - the mugs'll fall for it again, game.
This remix, remastering cods really piddles me off.
Who bl**dy cares if you can make it sound different?
It's not what really happened.
Just enjoy the original stuff, warts and all, as it occurred in real life.
Yes, I've got all the Beatles stuff on original vinyl and CD.
I think I've paid enough over the years and I ain't paying anymore for stuff I don't need or want, thank you!

Rant over - Thank you for reading this and I wish you a goodnight! :P

Edited by Jazzneck

Stereo was not a necessary option for the albums released in the 60s. I was brought up in the 80's where those crappy stereo mixes where only available due to the mono long being withdrawn. All Beatles fans in the 80's were only given the 2nd rate mixes produced by EMI with the sh*tty left/right vocals.
I think its time to look the Beatles as a classic act and remix for the younger crowd.

I saved up for and bought the mono box set so I could hear what I remember The Beatles sounding like when I was a child. Also I wanted to listen to them on my headphones and some of the 1980s stereo mixes I found difficult on the ears - 'Rubber Soul' for example. The more recent stereo cds were more sympathetic.I bought 'Rubber Soul' to compare and it was much easier to listen to. I like the idea of Giles Martin creating a stereo mix that is nearer mono and can possibly capture the best of both the intended mono mix (overseen by the band after recording) and the stereo mixes (often carried out weeks/months later without the band). Should get rid of the 'dead central spaces' on some of the 80s stereo versions when listening on headphones.

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1447710937' post='2909762']
Why Oh Why do they do this remix cobblers?
Another great money making scheme - let's milk the cash cow - the mugs'll fall for it again, game.
This remix, remastering cods really piddles me off.
Who bl**dy cares if you can make it sound different?
It's not what really happened.
Just enjoy the original stuff, warts and all, as it occurred in real life.
Yes, I've got all the Beatles stuff on original vinyl and CD.
I think I've paid enough over the years and I ain't paying anymore for stuff I don't need or want, thank you!

Rant over - Thank you for reading this and I wish you a goodnight! :P
[/quote]

To be fair, I think the main selling point with this new release is the Blu-Ray/ DVD. It's full of promo clips, lots of which I've never seen before. Also, not sure if I should mention this or not, the visuals have also been restored and they look glorious. ;)

[b]To be fair,[/b] I've been in a few of the meetings where the marketing boys, girls and others have been under pressure to increase revenue, particularly around Christmas time.
The stock answer was always along the lines of "we'll do a remix, add an extra track or two, update the packaging, add a few pictures and call it a limited edition"
Each time the big boss looks at the cost / revenue calculations, sanctions the idea and tells 'em they better get on with it pdq.

Reason for edit: Political Correctness.

Edited by Jazzneck