Why become a member? ×

Removing gloss finish and waxing/oiling?

The Admiral

I've had a look through the posts but couldn't find anything on this, so any insights gratefully received.

I want to remove the high gloss finish on a 'natural' guitar body, and oil or wax it as an alternative. I'm comfortable with the stripping part, but don't have a clue on the refinishing.

What would you go for? Wax? Oil? And most importantly what products would you suggest?

Cheers

A

I am a woodworking numpty. I REALLY have no idea. I have just finished a bass in Danish oil. It was so easy even I could do it. The surface was sanded clean and then I rubbed the oil on. And then it dried. Then I did it again. And then it dried. And then it was finished.

Liberon finishing oil would give you a hard protective finish, the more layers you add the more gloss you get. You need to apply thin coats, 1 every 24 hours.
BriWax is a great wax product, you could cut back (1500 wet and dry) the gloss finish of the Liberon oil with BriWax, that would give you a lovely satin effect.

Edited by rmcki

You must not skimp on the sanding down. There is no short cut. Use super duper fine wire wool, then use a new bit of wool of the same grade to apply the first coat of Danish oil. The oil and the wood dust form a paste which fills the microscopic grain. Then apply the second coat with a clean lint free cloth.

Just a thought but if it's just the glossy look you don't like you could lightly sand the finish with fine wet and dry or wire wool, I did this to a natural Jazz Bass years ago and it looked great, the bonus is it can be buffed back to gloss again should you fell the need.