Why become a member? ×

Bernard Edwards-Sister Sledge

lancer

You may find this article from Sound on Sound interesting. Talks about the recording of Le Freak, but Nile Rodgers talks about recording the Sister Sledge album concurrently, and Bernard favoured the Ray in the studio from all that I've read.

Interesting that 'He's the greatest dancer' was recorded originally as a Chic basic track, and they gave it away after Le Freak was a hit.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr05/articles/classictracks.htm

Edited by The Admiral

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1446649408' post='2901134']
He had a very distinctive way of playing, using his thumb and finger like a pick. That no doubt contributed to his sound.
[/quote]

On tracks like Happy Man, Everybody Dance and Dance Dance Dance this can be clearly heard. However he didn't always do this. Notice how close to the bridge he plays on the video (sadly his last performance - and using the Stingray - and sounding exactly like himself despite illness) - fabulous sound (using Trace Elliott plus his 2 band 1977 Stingray)

http://youtu.be/M1APFyc_QtQ

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1446680350' post='2901501']
On tracks like Happy Man, Everybody Dance and Dance Dance Dance this can be clearly heard. However he didn't always do this. Notice how close to the bridge he plays on the video (sadly his last performance - and using the Stingray - and sounding exactly like himself despite illness)
[/quote]

I erm............don't actually like anything he's done :), not my thing at all.

I was just repeating something I heard about at uni.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1446680465' post='2901503']

I erm............don't actually like anything he's done :), not my thing at all
[/quote]

Hmm interesting - I don't think I've ever come across another bass player who didn't like Bernard Edwards..... I was merely pointing out he probably didn't use that technique on many of their (Rogers/Edwards songs).

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1446680789' post='2901504']
Hmm interesting - I don't think I've ever come across another bass player who didn't like Bernard Edwards..... I was merely pointing out he probably didn't use that technique on many of their (Rogers/Edwards songs).
[/quote]

LOL, :).

I'm not really into funk and groove, stuff like that.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1446680350' post='2901501']
On tracks like Happy Man, Everybody Dance and Dance Dance Dance this can be clearly heard. However he didn't always do this. Notice how close to the bridge he plays on the video (sadly his last performance - and using the Stingray - and sounding exactly like himself despite illness) - fabulous sound (using Trace Elliott plus his 2 band 1977 Stingray)

[media]http://youtu.be/M1APFyc_QtQ[/media]
[/quote]
Did he not die the same night?