Why become a member? ×

Powder coating, hydro dipping.

karlfer

So I'm fed up of black box cabs! I want bright/purdy/different :rolleyes:

I keep thinking of going TKS and speccing pretty stuff, coz I'm a shallow magpie gear whore.
However, an S212 which is a reasonable price (about £680) is not the option I prefer, as I like 2 x 112's.
If I get 2 x TKS 112's in the config I want, it's over £900.
Obviously if they don't work out for me, I would take a big hit on new gear :( .

So, I got to thinking (allegedly) :P .

This is all about cosmetics really, so, how about taking the grills off, getting them stripped and powder coated.
Or hydro dipped?

Anybody done such things, Any photographic evidence?

I didn't put this in technical or repairs as I thought it more suited to here.

Cheers in hope,
Karl.

Edited by karlfer

I would think a metal grille could be fairly easily powder coated, or hydro-dipped if the holes are fairly large.

The other option would be either normal rattle-can paint, or for a more reversible finish, you can get peelable paints, which put a rubberish coating on which can be peeled off like a film.

The only one of the above I've actually done on a cab was rattle-can painting a grille for a DIY cab, that was very easy and has held up fairly well to regular gigging despite only being paint, e.g not as tough as powder coat.

Pay the money and get the TKS how you want them.
It might just cure your GAS!
I withdrew mine after realising what a mistake i would be making.
Short of getting a few roadies to move around a stupidly heavy rig for me, i wouldnt swap for anything.
Great sound, lightweight, look how i want.
There's just no need for me to get anything else

Source the same metal, find an engineering firm to cut to size and fettle as needed then get the finish you want applied. Keep your original grilles should you ever wish to change back. You could explain the situation to TKS and see if they would supply additional grilles at a sane price.

For what it's worth, I've spray painted metal speaker grilles with Hammerite and Platikote spray paints. They both give a professional finish that looks just like powder coated, although it's not as tough. It's tough enough though and certainly tougher than a can of car spray paint (which I'd be reluctant to use here).

I expect that using either of these paints to spray over an existing painted or powder coated grille would work, but it would be advisable to spray the back of the grille first just to make sure.

Thanks again chaps. The following custom Schro, the cab and grill is done. I'm just looking at getting the grills done, probably white.

[URL=http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/blue-white-red-cab_zpsb2w8gjpi.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/Karl_Altdorfer/blue-white-red-cab_zpsb2w8gjpi.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Theres nothing to stop you getting your cabs recovered. Look up Zilla cabs, they have a big range of different coverings and fret cloth.
I am equally shallow and I sent them my brand new fender bassman 100t and Cab about 2 weeks after they arrived. They changed the covering from Black to cream and I had fronts made in oxblood and another in wheat.
Probably not what you want but thet did a cracking job. and I am really please how they turned out

[quote name='bumnote' timestamp='1445282791' post='2890282']
Theres nothing to stop you getting your cabs recovered. Look up Zilla cabs, they have a big range of different coverings and fret cloth.
I am equally shallow and I sent them my brand new fender bassman 100t and Cab about 2 weeks after they arrived. They changed the covering from Black to cream and I had fronts made in oxblood and another in wheat.
Probably not what you want but thet did a cracking job. and I am really please how they turned out
[/quote]

We demand piccys don't we my precioussss :D