Why become a member? ×

Move over West Side Story

scalpy

A lot of my playing is for local am dram companies, and the pads can vary enormously in terms of challenge. West Side Story is always held as bit of a badge of honour but there's a new kid on the block, at least in terms of amateur companies.

Sunset Boulevard! I was wondering if anybody else has played this on here, 'cos I did band call today and my head has melted. Massive sections in 5 at rocket speed, what is practically a bass solo for 8 minutes that changes key every line and time signature every bar for several pages, every fret just about covered and hardly any break or dialogue to catch breath.

So top trickiest shows so far 3. Chess. 2. West Side 1. Sunset.

Anybody else got any other monster roasts for charts out there?

West Side Story was the one for me, but have played it a few times now, so no panic.
Sunset is Tricky, agreed.
And JCS, has a couple of hairy moments.
But without doubt, the show I found trickiest was 'Bat Boy' (Well, during rehearsals)
The show only lasted about seven months (In the West End),

Haven't heard about a few of these, so will keep my eyes peeled.

A few weeks ago I asked to dep for copa so glad I turned that down! Forewarned about Hairspray now, that's bound to be on the horizon sometime soon.

The thing about WSS is that the material is so good and well written. It's intimidating but arranged really well and does drop pretty well considering. Sunset, dare I say it, is not of the same calibre and feels fidgety and superfluous in its complexity, there's no real need for a lot of the time changes etc. And it's certainly not necessary to do it at the tempos our MD wants either!