Why become a member? ×

NBD- Epiphone Thunderbirs Classic IV- Alpine White

stuckinthepod

[color=#222222]So my Jack Casady needed a sister....[/color]
[color=#222222] [/color]
[color=#222222]Had a hankering for a Thunderbird, the Gibson is well out of my price range even second hand but the specs on the Epi are pretty close (Gibson USA pickups) and reviews seemed favourable. Started to look around and the saw this on Amazon at price I couldn't walk away from (£248 down from £379 if anyone is interested). Arrived via Prime in about 36 hours and was double boxed and well wrapped in plastic.[/color]
[color=#222222] [/color]
[color=#222222]Looks good but it’s a completely different shade of Alpine White than the Jack Casady –more Essex Stiletto White than Alpine. Paint works is mostly quite tidy with one or two blemishes on the back edge of the headstock. The slimmest neck I’ve ever played on a bass- Including Ibanez. Very nicely finished frets and hardware all works as it should.[/color]
[color=#222222] [/color]
[color=#222222]Unfortunately it doesn’t play well straight out of the box. The Jack Casady was playable out of the box (perhaps setup at Thomann). I assume the T-Bird came from factory to the Amazon warehouse and hasn’t been touched. The neck is super straight almost convex and the action is stratospherically high. It going to need a set-up and a new set of strings before I can really comment on its tones. [/color]
[color=#222222] [/color]
[color=#222222]First thoughts, a good buy. Very, very light and no noticeable neck dive on a wide strap. Massively powerful pickups and neck feels like it will be very fast. Both pickups on seem a bit much, really like the neck pick up on its own. Should sound great in the band.[/color]

Edited by stuckinthepod

I have the sunburst version and changed the strap buttons to stop neck dive completely. Other than that its pretty good value for the money altho i only paid £100 for it 2nd hand. I have a mate with the neck thru white version and if yours is same its pretty impressive for the money.
All the best with your new bass.

Dave